Weird shimmy when braking from 55mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    These cars are very sensitive to how round and true the wheels and tires are on them. Most newer vehicles have at least 800 extra pounds on them to stabilize the vehicle with slightly out of round tires, but the Festiva is so light that it shakes easily. I have noticed this on my own cars from swapping from one set of tires to the next. With my 14" wheels, the car used to ride smooth as glass at any speed, but it shook like a wet dog at 60mph with my 13" wheels. This has been the case with 3 of my Festivas. tires make a huge difference. Also, make sure your wheels are evenly torqued too. Hub centric fitment is a plus, but not necessary if your wheel bolts are evenly torqued. sometimes these cars get the shakes with loose wheel bearings too.
    Wheel bolts could be un evenly torqued but why would it escalate under moderator braking also I'm running 205/45r 16s nitto neogens not much tire weight and the tires are supposed to be good quality

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Festiver
    93 L find/5 speed
    BP/g15mr swapped
    Aspire brake swapped
    Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
    stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
    rustful
    maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
    advanced suspension
    kai/skeeter camber
    b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

How old are your Rotors? It might be a good plan to just go ahead and change them even if you can't feel it in the Brake Pedal and then do the CV axle while your'e at it.
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
        How old are your Rotors? It might be a good plan to just go ahead and change them even if you can't feel it in the Brake Pedal and then do the CV axle while your'e at it.
        Hmm less than a year do you know anyone or companies that rebuilds axles itd be a shame just to toss xr2 axles

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
        Festiver
        93 L find/5 speed
        BP/g15mr swapped
        Aspire brake swapped
        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
        rustful
        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
        advanced suspension
        kai/skeeter camber
        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Well if the boot has only been ripped for a little while then it might be okay. As far as I know they don't really go bad until you lose the grease and get crap inside of them. From what I have read on Advance Auto's website they can't be repaired they ave to be replaced but then why would they off a core charge on them... RockAuto Lists new ones for a little under $50 each.
          Last edited by firebush357; 11-10-2016, 11:16 AM.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You can take them apart and rebuild them if you can find the parts. Special tools even though for my diesel build where i needed block off for trans one side and wheel side to keep bearing torqued. I took mine apart with basic tools but took a while

Comment

Working...
            X