Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'89 Festiva--feasible for a college kid in 2017?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '89 Festiva--feasible for a college kid in 2017?

So here's the scoop: I'm going to start college this fall, and I'll be commuting a roughly 30 mile round trip to campus every day. Rural UP Michigan, long winters with tons and tons of snow, and I'll need to get to campus and back safely through the worst of it, and cheaply. There's this '89 Festiva on CL for $600. According to the ad it runs and drives and has very little rust.

I really like the idea of a Festiva from what I've heard/read, I just have a few questions though.

1. Will this car get blown off the road in a crosswind? I've driven my parents' Hyundai Elantra many times on the same route I'll be taking, and even that can be a bit scary in fierce weather.

2. If it has 12" rims, it looks like tires will be super hard to get, and I really will need snow tires. I know lots of people have done 13" wheels. Is that still easy with the stock brake setup? (I mean without doing the Aspire brake swap I've heard about)

3. Some sources online say parts are cheap, some say they're extremely rare. Will parts in general be hard to deal with?

4. I don't have any experience with carburetors. Pretty sure the '89 has one, right? Under the assumption it's been taken care of, do you think a carburetor on a 212,000 mile Festiva will be troublesome in single-digit weather?

Sorry if my post is too long-winded or if I'm in the wrong part of the forum or anything. And I didn't know if I should join because I technically don't own a Festiva, I just knew lots of knowledgeable people would be on here so I figured it'd be worth a try to get some advice. Thanks for any and all help.

Welcome to the forum!

My honda crv was worse in the wind. It's not great but it's no kite.

No need for snow tires the thin tires are great in the snow, chains work well. I live in buffalo and drive over snow higher than the bumper. You can also get the regular tires $50 on amazon. I have them mounted at walmart for like 5-10 bucks a tire. Maybe you can find snow tires online. Finding 13" wheels with the right bolt pattern will be the hardest part.

Depends on the part. You can always come here to ask for parts.

Idk anything about carbs. D:

Comment

I'll be attending college this fall too with about an 80 mile trip. I have nice winter tires that work awesome. 13" firestone winterforces and I never get stuck. The wind can be kinda bad sometimes but there is nothing really to do. Honestly I'd take my festiva anywhere. Which is why I'm taking mine to college but it's definitely not a regular festiva. Doesn't sound like a bad deal tho for an 89.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      93 Festiva B6 5spd

Comment

13s are fairly easy to get, as are the tires. The carb, if unmodified and used regularly rarely fails.
        Parts availability really depends on the specific part. Most are easily obtained or sourced from other vehicles as replacements or upgrades.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! What you said about the Honda gives me some peace of mind. I've driven an Isuzu trooper in the wind and I think that thing would be comparable if not worse than a CR-V. And it was manageable. I guess I just figured the low weight of the Festiva doesn't cancel out the wind as much if you know what I mean. But if the SUV is worse then I shouldn't have a problem.

Unfortunately, chains are illegal in Michigan, or at least for regular road use. If I do get the car I suppose I could feel out the first few bouts of ice and snow on normal tires, but I'd probably try to get 13's and snow tires if I can't find snows for 12's. Sounds like a job for the Google.

I hope things pan out in favor of the Festiva. Such a charming little machine.

Comment

Thanks guys! I won't worry too much then. I suppose it'll come down to looking at the car in person. Btw, does anyone know if Geo Metro rims fit? So far I've only found conflicting information on that. They have the same lug pattern don't they?

Comment

Yes Geo Metro wheels will fit they are 4x4.5 (114.3mm) same as festiva wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              93 Festiva B6 5spd

Comment

Get skinny snow tires and that festiva will go places pickups cant. We used to have contests to see who could drive farthest into the ditch and still make it back out.... lol.
                Festiva is the cheapest car ever maintinance wise.
                Ive never worked much on carbs or owned one but if you have trouble there is lots of help here. Starting fluid and a block heater is your friend.
                With good tires the festiva is an amazing car in snow. The only issue will be heat. They have enough to keep the windows clear, but i usually dress warm...

Tire chains are just for if you get stuck. Not to drive with. Worst case senario you use them to get to the top of a hill and take em off. Once you get some speed your unstoppable, lol.

Just make sure you get skinney winter tires and have a good alignment. Go to a shop that gives you a printout when its done and post it on here. Rear alignment makes a big difference in snow as does having good rear struts.

I have taken my festiva so many crazy places in deep snow and ive gotten actually stuck less times than with my other cars which i never try anything crazy with.

This one i almost fell asleep and tried to take the corner at 60km/hr when it was -42c outside. Walked home and it was too cold for anything else on our place to start. Walked back with my brother and we dug a path for it and i drove it out, lol.

I have tons more snow photos and videos but i think you get the idea.
                I can show you maintinance logs if you want. I had the red festiva 9yrs and kept track of every penny i spent on it. Also several Civics 2001-2005. Festiva about $0.04/km and civics about $0.105/km. And festiva is more reliable, better on gas, more fun and all the things.
                I personally wouldnt buy a carb but thats only because i know nothing about them other than theres 50 vaccum lines...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-26-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Oh, with finding tires, you always should have 1 set more than you need. So if i have a good set on the car plus a spare i know i have 2 years or so and spend that time looking for good used tires. In my first 9 years and 250k ish of festiva ownership i bought 2 new tires from walmart the week after i got that car and i bought my first set of winters new. Everything else was under $20/tire balanced on another rim in like new condition from the junkyard or kijiji. Ive paid up to $30 for good used winter tires though, but never summers.

Comment

As with any old car you will have to work on it. Most Festivas need a lot of work in the beginning. But very little work after all the worn parts are replaced. Festivas are very depenedable. I drive 63 miles a day to work and back. The heater is not that great. Spend the summer fixing and cleaning the heating system. make sure you have the right tstat. good luck

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!!!
                      Looks like the ad is gone, wonder if the OP got the car...

Comment

Actually I just checked and the seller updated the ad so that's why the original link doesn't work anymore. I haven't had a chance to go look at the car yet since it's a couple hours away from me.

ryanprins13, those snow pictures/videos are epic! Good to know these things can do that since we get close to 300 annual inches of snowfall.

Comment

Looks decent. No significant rust, few dents though, looks like pedal pads are missing so youll need some of those which are cheap, looks like a spark plug box in the console so either he took some care of it or its having starting issues. Aftermarket sterio is nice, saves you from having to buy one. Id say if it drives and starts nice then go for it. Any weird feels or noises just offer less money.
                          I paid $1500 CAD for my no rust but slightly dented festiva...

Comment

Dang it, someone beat me to it. Called the guy and someone was driving away with it even as we spoke. Well, thanks for all the help. Will definitely keep my eyes out for Festivas in decent shape.

Comment

that was me - it was definitely NOT in daily driveable condition but it's an honest car with no rust and good bones for being in wisconsin (was told it was from texas originally). Lookin to fix it up and make it my daily. there are a couple in the price range around central/western wisconsin - i was looking all over the state as far as minneapolis to chicago to find a good one..

Comment

Working...
                              X