Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How necessary are upgraded brakes for DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
    Capri brakes Will not clear your 12" wheels. You need at least 14" from what's been said on here.
    When I saw that he was running​ Watanabes, I knew the Capri suggestion would be a safe bet. they don't come in 12s, and 13s are really hard to find.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If the question is how "necessary" my answer is it is not.Crappy stock original suit my specific needs fine.If you are a tailgater nothing is good enough.

Comment

I would put some 13" wheels o it with the stock brakes. Just redo all the brakes. Get the good stuff. A well setup stock unit is nice and will stop the car just fine.

I have 2 car with big brakes and love it. I would swpa the brakes to aspire for 13" rims or rio swap it with rims to match. Some rio have even bigger brakes so you gotta watch out. my big rio brakes require a 14" and not all 14's will fit. So gotta watch it. If you can swing for the brake upgrade do it. otherwise dont worry you will be just fine. Drive it like it should be driven and your fine.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by dliverance View Post
          Can you upgrade to aspire brakes and retain the 4x114 lug pattern? Sorry if this has been covered but I figured since you guys were on the topic I'd ask
          Non turbo BF 323 front brakes. Vented, still fit 13" wheels and 4x114.3
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

A panic stop is were you will be glad you up graded. When you could find festivas in junk yards, every other one had front end damage.

Comment

Honestly I highly suggest the brake swap but to physically drive the car no you don't need big brakes just don't rely on them too much I've had too many close calls with people cutting me off to trust the stock brakes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
              Festiver
              93 L find/5 speed
              BP/g15mr swapped
              Aspire brake swapped
              Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
              stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
              rustful
              maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
              advanced suspension
              kai/skeeter camber
              b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

In stock trim the OE brakes, in good working order with quality semi-metalic pads, have proved good for all purposes, even HPDE, until working the hills with a 2700lb trailer load, where I found they can be over-heated.
                Last edited by Dragonhealer; 03-30-2017, 10:10 AM.
                No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by jfd64 View Post
                  If the question is how "necessary" my answer is it is not.Crappy stock original suit my specific needs fine.If you are a tailgater nothing is good enough.
                  or a texter.
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                    In stock trim the OE brakes, in good working order with quality semi-metalic pads, have proved good for all purposes, even HPDE, until working the hills with a 2700lb trailer load, where I found they can be over-heated.
                    Pulling 2,700lbs with a Festiva? with A/C I hope. Uphills @ 115 ambient temperatures. I imagine you get some looks of amazement.
                    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                      Pulling 2,700lbs with a Festiva? with A/C I hope. Uphills @ 115 ambient temperatures. I imagine you get some looks of amazement.
                      Lol! More than a few. A/C turned off of course, ATX.
                      No car too fast !

Comment

stock brakes are fine
                        worry about the suspension! do the advanxdynamix upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          Non turbo BF 323 front brakes. Vented, still fit 13" wheels and 4x114.3
                          PM sent

Comment

My festiva breaks with good pads and working sliders would lock up my 12's and 13s.
                            I went to aspire for the 4x100 and easily swapping rotors.
                            To be truthful I felt like the breaks where worse when I swapped because I didn't swap the mastercylinder and booster so it took more pedal to do the same job. I have since swapped to the miata na master and booster and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                              A/C turned off of course, ATX.
                              I pulled an 850lb jet ski over a 7% grade mountain with the A/C on dozens of times over the summer. Most times it is close to 100 deg. Never had a problem going up or down.
                              Last edited by cyclonecj; 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM.
                              92 Festiva GL Sport 5spd A/C 282k miles
                              Power windows, Power door locks, & Heated seats !
                              Festiva of the month co-winner June 2017
                              Festiva of the month winner June 2018

Comment

im' gonna stick with the stocker brakes with the 12" rims. for a set of winter tires i can use 13" rims from a metro or something right, 4x4.5? does 175/70/13 fit without rubbing on stock suspension?

Comment

Working...
                                X