Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently bought my first car, a 99 Festiva with a B6. Where should I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently bought my first car, a 99 Festiva with a B6. Where should I start?

Hi all, I am quite new to the car scene and have picked up a Festiva for a bargain price of $200, it has a B6 from a 91 Laser with 190 000 kms. I want to invest a thousand dollars or so into turning it into a sleeper, but my knowledge is limited to how a car works and the basic parts a car has. I want to use this car to begin learning more.

So my question is, where should I start? I know that it still has the stock 1.3L fuel pump and I was told that being a 1.6L engine the fuel pump needs an upgrade, but apart from that I don't really know what would have the biggest impact for the cheapest price.

I do want to upgrade the exhaust, not just for performance, but also because the car sounds like a lawn mower. However, I have no idea which is best for the festiva, and I don't know whether I should go with a cat back or just upgrade the rear muffler.

Welcome to the forum!

You don't necessarily need a new fuel pump. I also have a B6 and the stock Festiva fuel pump works fine for it.

The most fun and bang for buck will be to get it to handle well. Tires, wheel, suspension. So check out those threads.

Make sure your exhaust has one or two resonators, that will help a lot. Maybe a better muffler too.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

What Country are you from, and is it a SOHC or DOHC B6?

$1000 CAD/AUS is a lot different from $1000 USD haha
      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
      Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
      Feel free to PM me anytime!
      Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
      Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Originally posted by Dankitis View Post
        Hi all, I am quite new to the car scene and have picked up a Festiva for a bargain price of $200, it has a B6 from a 91 Laser with 190 000 kms. I want to invest a thousand dollars or so into turning it into a sleeper, but my knowledge is limited to how a car works and the basic parts a car has. I want to use this car to begin learning more.

So my question is, where should I start? I know that it still has the stock 1.3L fuel pump and I was told that being a 1.6L engine the fuel pump needs an upgrade, but apart from that I don't really know what would have the biggest impact for the cheapest price.

I do want to upgrade the exhaust, not just for performance, but also because the car sounds like a lawn mower. However, I have no idea which is best for the festiva, and I don't know whether I should go with a cat back or just upgrade the rear muffler.
        What country are you in?
        If you want it to be a sleeper youll probably keep the stock 1.5in exhaust and get a resonater and any muffler that gives a bit of noise. I had a 2inch cherry bomb glasspack that i thought sounded nice on the b3.
        If you want a sleeper and a fun car i would suggest putting your money into suspension and tires, not the engine. The car will be amazing with good suspension, nice exhaust and 14in tires even with the b6 left alone.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Check out the build thread of pedro:
          Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Its an n/a B6 with good suspension, quick car. Heres a video of it with a 320hp miata on a track a few years ago:

Here is a video of a b6t (turbo) with nice suspension against cars like corvettes and bmw's: https://youtu.be/7Z7yXQRj2Uk

As you can see the engine is important but suspension and tires are importanter.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-12-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

!00% do the advanced suspension and get good tires and rims. I have a writeup on the suspension. I list every part you need to buy. In america its about 500$ i dont know where your from so adjust for your area.

I would do the resonater and a muffler. but the suspension is the key.
            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
            1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
            19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
              What Country are you from, and is it a SOHC or DOHC B6?

$1000 CAD/AUS is a lot different from $1000 USD haha
              That is in AUD. Unfortunately it is only a SOHC.

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
              !00% do the advanced suspension and get good tires and rims. I have a writeup on the suspension. I list every part you need to buy. In america its about 500$ i dont know where your from so adjust for your area.

I would do the resonater and a muffler. but the suspension is the key.
              **nevermind, that was easy to find** Could you please link me to the writeup?

Is there a specific muffler/resonator that would be best suited to the car?
              Last edited by Dankitis; 06-23-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dankitis View Post
                That is in AUD. Unfortunately it is only a SOHC.
                That makes it a much easier swap. A SOHC B6 can be run completely on B3 ECU and electronics. I believe all you have to do it an injector swap for certain years of B6. The information should be on here somewhere.
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
                Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
                Feel free to PM me anytime!
                Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
                Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Working...
                X