Pedro the Festiva's build thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedro the Festiva's build thread.

Okay, since I've been building these cars I have gotten crap for being "secretive". It's not intentional. I am used to working on things I'm not supposed to talk about or take pictures of so it's not normal for me to write about what I'm doing on a public forum. But, because I love you guys, I'm going to do my best to document this car. Here is Pedro the Festiva.

PEDRO's STORY
    I bought Pedro a couple years ago for a member of FF.com from the San Francisco area. I was supposed to only have this car for a couple of weeks while the new owner got down here to drive the car back. Well, after I shelled out 900 bucks for what I thought was a solid little driver, I heard a nasty knock under acceleration. I pulled the pan and rod caps off to find that this poor little b3 had been starved of oil a few times too many and the crank was junk. I told the new owner about the damage and offered to sell him Babe instead, but he wasn't interested. So…. I ended up with Festiva #5. It wasn't too horrible of a hit because this little car is solid as a rock, rust free AZ car with pretty low mileage. So, I stored Pedro away at a rental property until it was time to revive this nice little car. The time has come.
    THE PLAN
    A while back I bought a JDM B6ze locally. It's a JDM import engine with barely any wear. I used the head from this engine on Tweaks rebuild, but still have the bottom end. Since I need some shelf space and I need less non running cars I figured why not build up a b6D with this b6ze block and some extra Capri crap that is crowding up my shelves. I also have a full F.I. setup from my 89 auto Festiva that will swap easily into Pedro. Pedro is an 88 carby car. So the plan is basically to run a 1.6 16v (Capri style) on the 89 auto injection with some miata injectors and a slightly modified engine harness. Why? because I have all this stuff and I want a running car. I plan to use the 4 speed E series transaxle and a new Sachs clutch and flywheel. The B6D should be good for around 100hp, so I'm pretty sure that a good quality oe clutch will hold just fine. I plan to work on the car on the weekends, and I'd like to get it running by the end of January, but we all know what happens to goals in the car world. I'll keep this thread updated with the progress though.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Wow! That festiva looks nice! I should buy one from Arizona...
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

i vote for pedro.

Comment

There are still plenty of rust free festivas down here, so come save them before they go to the scraper!

Thanks Rudy! Every vote counts!
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I think you're gonna miss Tweak's power
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^^if he doesn't already

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
              I think you're gonna miss Tweak's power
              Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              ^^if he doesn't already
              The power is missed already, but I know I'm going to miss that traction and drivability most of all. I have a feeling this car is going to be a handful to drive with the engine in the stock location and these spindly little axles. Tweaks new owner prefers to drive tweak in the rain over his B3 festiva with the same tires and suspension because, in his words "Tweak hooks up sooo much better." I can remember that same scenario with Babe. Babe would burn out and TQ steer more than Tweak with it's little 200K mile (just broken in) carby b3. lol. But, I miss driving a Festy and this engine is better than that "knocking on heavens door" b3 that Pedro has now. I have a good collection of G series transmissions and turbos so this could go well. There is a PNP megasquirt box for this plug style. It's like a legos expandable pack. haha For now lets just pull this seemingly pristine Carby B3 out of this engine bay!

It comes out today. This engine is like a well preserved time capsule. Everything was untouched and immaculate. every plug was in it's its proper place and there were no crispy wires or broken plugs or rusty bolts. I love Arizona for this and the old people that live here and maintain their little retirement cars.

Comment

If you Carby guys need anything, let me know. I'll let it go cheap cheap (pretty much shipping and handling). The fuel pump went out on it from sitting dry, and the carb may need a cleaning from gas sitting for a year, but it all looks like new. I can't justify scrapping this nice carburetor setup, but I don't have space for it. PM me if you need anything.

Comment

Comment

Number one reason to move to Arizona: These Nuts

Not just that these nuts are nice and warm in the sunshine of a beautiful December day, or that these nuts get to relax while most are being busted shoveling snow. Nope, the best part is how nice and clean my nuts are! When was the last time you saw 25 year old exhaust manifold nuts that looked like these?

That's pretty common in these parts. I like my nuts to still sparkle after 25 years of heat and action. Mmmmhmmm.

Comment

That's just crazy

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                        .... but we all know what happens to goals in the car world.
                        You speak with much wisdom Mr. Charlie,sir!!!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

This car is so cherry that the engine and trans mounts were still in great shape! And they look to be original! I'm amazed by the condition of this car. The original owner gave or willed it to his granddaughter, and it had a leaky VC gasket, cam seal and front main seal. The leaks must have lead to the car running out of oil at least once pretty bad, which is what took out the crank. I bet the cam and head are junk too. It's really to bad because the ports were really clean and all the components on the engine are in excellent shape. the car ran great too, before I let it sit for a year and the fuel pump quit. Oh well, it'll be better with a B6D.
                          Check out these mounts.

Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-28-2014, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Don't mean to gloat, but that's the standard condition of most non beach cars in australia.

With the exception of Italian cars. Alfa and fiat will rust even if kept inside a vacuum sealed room
                            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
                              With the exception of Italian cars. Alfa and fiat will rust even if kept inside a vacuum sealed room
                              I couldn't have said it any better. :ia:

Comment

Working...
                              X