Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    For a b3 yes.
    For more power without an engine swap or with?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Without. Just want a lil more getup lol the stock motor is fine, i just cant leave things alone lol

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      Update the exhaust and add timing.
      Does cutting off the cat make a big difference? And how much timing do i add?

Comment

Whats a b3?

Comment

The B3 is the engine code given to the 1.3L 4 cyl engine that was put in the Festiva and Aspire. The 1.6L engine in many 90's and early 00' Mazda cars would be a B6.

Removing the cat can make a difference. (be careful if you are in an emissions controlled state. I dont know if AZ is.) and as for timing start with a few ° of timing. There are some writeups in the different sub forums on the different kinds of mods/ tweaks that people have done to the Festiva over the years.
          Last edited by gergorian; 06-29-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
            The B3 is the engine code given to the 1.3L 4 cyl engine that was put in the Festiva and Aspire. The 1.6L engine in many 90's and early 00' Mazda cars would be a B6.
            Ohhhh that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfire14 View Post

It can, but a well working cat won't have any performance losses for a B3, it's too large to be a real restriction. The mid pipe and muffler on the other hand is a different story. You will gain by going to a 1.75-2" pipe, resonator & muffler. The stock 1.5" is only good up to about 4k before starting to choke.

With a well maintained engine, I would start with 8* btdc and bump it up in 2* increments untill there's pinging at low rpm under load (about 2000 rpm), then pull back 2*. Given your location, you'll likely wind up in the 12-14* range, especially if you use 91+octane.
              Last edited by FestYboy; 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM.
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Welcome!

What part of Arizona are you in with all that green grass?
                No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                  Welcome!

What part of Arizona are you in with all that green grass?
                  Lol i wish. Im out in the desert.. Yuma...

Comment

Without. Just want a lil more getup lol the stock motor is fine, i just cant leave things alone lol

Ok, not a ton you can do. A member here can make you a custom intake manifold, do a cold air intake, redo your exhaust, port and polish, remove and clean injectors, sidegap and index your plugs maybe, remove pistons and clean the rings to increase compression if thats an issue... might get 15% increase from that max?
                    turbo if you dont want to keep the motor long.
                    Swaps are easy and cheap though. B6 drops in and is a 25 or 30% increase. Stock B6t (turbo) is a bit more involved but not bad, bp is a bit of work but good power, bpt up to 775hp i hear. Other swaps can be done but are much more involved.

Like they said, a good cat causes no problem. When you cange your exhaust take the cat out and blow it out real good with compressed air.
                    Whats a b3?

Sorry, lol. B3 is the 1.3L it came with, b6 is a 1.6L, b6t is a 1.6 turbo, bp is a 1.8 and bpt is a 1.8 turbo

Check this out. This car has a b6t. Lemons car so under $500 in parts, just thousands of hrs in labour probly, lol

Last edited by ryanprins13; 06-29-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Ok, not a ton you can do. A member here can make you a custom intake manifold, do a cold air intake, redo your exhaust, port and polish, remove and clean injectors, sidegap and index your plugs maybe, remove pistons and clean the rings to increase compression if thats an issue... might get 15% increase from that max?
                      turbo if you dont want to keep the motor long.
                      Swaps are easy and cheap though. B6 drops in and is a 25 or 30% increase. Stock B6t (turbo) is a bit more involved but not bad, bp is a bit of work but good power, bpt up to 775hp i hear. Other swaps can be done but are much more involved.

Like they said, a good cat causes no problem. When you cange your exhaust take the cat out and blow it out real good with compressed air.

Sorry, lol. B3 is the 1.3L it came with, b6 is a 1.6L, b6t is a 1.6 turbo, bp is a 1.8 and bpt is a 1.8 turbo

Check this out. This car has a b6t. Lemons car so under $500 in parts, just thousands of hrs in labour probly, lol

Wow thanks for all the info! Mine has the 2bbl carb lol is there any sort of intake or k&n drop in i can buy? Ill probably eventually do a port and polish and timing advance. It might need a rejet too idk its originally from portland then was bought and taken to nebraska then he drove it down to his house here in az and put it up for sale. It looks to have a new carb tho but i. Thinking it needs to be re jetted. Is there any sort of aftermarket header i can buy or am i stuck with what i got lol. Also, anyone ever put a msd box on one of these?

Comment

Wow thanks for all the info! Mine has the 2bbl carb lol is there any sort of intake or k&n drop in i can buy? Ill probably eventually do a port and polish and timing advance. It might need a rejet too idk its originally from portland then was bought and taken to nebraska then he drove it down to his house here in az and put it up for sale. It looks to have a new carb tho but i. Thinking it needs to be re jetted. Is there any sort of aftermarket header i can buy or am i stuck with what i got lol. Also, anyone ever put a msd box on one of these?

Forgot it was carbed. Well, efi conversion is a bit of work. There is a k&n if you want to let more dirt in [emoji14]
                        A search on here should give you a part number.
                        You should check what carb it has. A webber carb is popular to put on. The carbed engines had significantly less hp but theres a guy on here doing autocross with one and doing quite well

Comment

Forgot it was carbed. Well, efi conversion is a bit of work. There is a k&n if you want to let more dirt in [emoji14]
                          A search on here should give you a part number.
                          You should check what carb it has. A webber carb is popular to put on. The carbed engines had significantly less hp but theres a guy on here doing autocross with one and doing quite well

I actually like how simple the carb setup is, my buddy told me to put a delordo or a webber on it also. I think im gunna search for that part # id love to at least put a k&n in it lol. I don't want to do too much and hurt the gas mileage alot. I really like the 40mpg haha

Comment

Look up Rocketman for carb adapters, you'll gain top end without loosing milage. Don't touch the stock carb, there's no jet kit for them. The best you can do with it is work on the transitions for a few more CFM. Start with the exhaust and timing, and replace the stock coil with an Accel Super Coil, you'll see/feel an improvement just from that part alone. I installed an MSD Street heat box just to get a rev limiter (carb cars don't have one stock).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              Look up Rocketman for carb adapters, you'll gain top end without loosing milage. Don't touch the stock carb, there's no jet kit for them. The best you can do with it is work on the transitions for a few more CFM. Start with the exhaust and timing, and replace the stock coil with an Accel Super Coil, you'll see/feel an improvement just from that part alone. I installed an MSD Street heat box just to get a rev limiter (carb cars don't have one stock).
                              Thanks!

Comment

Whats your rev limiter set to btw?

Comment

Working...
                                X