Moving Festiva question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Festiva question....

I know this is a stupid question but .....does the transmission with the cv axles have to be in to just move the car with a car dolly from one garage to another. The distance is about 2 miles between the garages. My window is closing and the vehicle needs to be moved. I just want the put the rack n pinion, struts, lower arms and spindles back in put the tires back on to just be able to load the vehicle on to a car dolly to move to the other garage. Any issues or does the trans have to be back in?????
    Life is not about finding yourself
    Life is about creating yourself

It does not have trans or axles to be pushed somewhere but beware there is a possibility of a hub coming apart while rolling, since it has no axle and nut holding it together - ask me how I know

Comment

Install the axles in to the spindles. Then loosely suspend the axles so they can rotate and not drag on the ground. Maybe use a rope tied to a stick laying across the fenders.

Comment

I use large bolts with washers that are just the right size to fit on the hubs. I bolt the hub together. I always have a car apart for some reason and do this allllllll the time. Bolt the hub together if you can. I have never had a festy hub come apart but i did have a jeep hub pull apart and boy did that suck.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Any time i replace an axle i keep the spare and cut them down to make short axles studs for this very reason. I have 2 festy ones in a box somewhere.
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I just rolled a car out of the garage the other day with no axles and didn't even think about this... They were freshly installed hubs so hopefully the grease held everything in place lol
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

It can come apart with just the weight of the car or they can stay together for a long while. Ihad no option but to drive a jeep a mile with no axle. I made it! I tried to drive to just the store a few blocks away on a new bearing and it came apart. I think the old one was just so tight from years of being held together it just stayed together over the short drive. Now i dont chance it tho. I bolt it or put a shaft in it.
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I never set a car down without stubs or bolts in place. I know festivas are not Volkswagens but the factory service manual for vw rabbit/golf says not to even put the weight of the car on front bearings without stubs as it can damage the bearings.I worked at a VW shop for 16years so I treat everything like it is a rabbit. Better safe than sorry.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I took an old set of axles - broke down the CV joint - cleaned up the end - put the nut back on and put them on the shelf -- did the same thing to the other end so I can store a trans as well

Comment

There was no engine or trans in the Car when I did it so hopefully it is fine. The Shifter dropped out pushing it back into the garage though...
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X