No announcement yet.

Shifter help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo gear hole is the only place to fill the trans that's feasible. Remove the 10mm bolt an then TWIST the gear housing, do NOT pry on it.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Remove trains drain plug get clear plastic tube that is big enough to push into the drain hole and form a seal loop the hose up under the back side of the transmission and far enough up through the back side of the engine to get a funnel in it pour in fluid until the fluid stays just above the point where the speedo gear goes in. Pull the hose out the bottom and quickly screw the drain plug in.

Comment

Or you could tap on the side of the flange after you remove the 10mm bolt to get it to start twisting (but definitely do not pry up on it) you will find this a much easier solution than the plastic tube method.

Comment

I have no idea if this will benefit anyone but sometime in the mid 80's audi decided the differentials didn't need fill or drain plugs because they went to synthetic lubricant that thoeritically never needed changing.of course a leaking seal shoots this thoery all to he## so the fix was drill drain and fill ports and tap them npt. Heck its dark out and I am not outside to look but if these diffs have a vent they could be filled through the vent the downside is you would have to drain the unit then fill it with a measured amount of lubricant as periodic maintainance. I cannot see a factory speedodrive being that stuck but IDK.Grease your drill bit and tap and go slow. Oh just thought I'd beat everyone to this one If you turn the car over you could fill it through the drain plug. Ok the last line was just smart ass . sorry
          Last edited by ricko1966; 12-24-2017, 01:05 AM.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

If you leave the cable attached to the speedo it gives you a much better hand hold for removing the gear.

Comment

Part number ebay search results-

Get the best deals for KKY0146041 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

I've had the bushings now a couple of years but still haven't got them put in the Aspire- getting more sloppy, but the window weld shifter fix still going a year and half later.

almost 64 and OUT OF GAS ('cept my butt!)

Comment

Working...
              X