X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Originally posted by jrclark32 View Post

I’m having the same thing on my 90. It’s old enough that state inspection (in Texas) is no longer an issue, so I’m thinking about just eliminating the cat entirely.

Does anyone advise against that?
    If you're cat is breaking up internally,I recomend replacing it.
    but if you are eliminating the cat for track work, put on a mask and pound the elements out of the cT canister and refit the empty canister.
    This chamber sets the tuned lengh of the pipe. Don't want to waste power ....

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by jrclark32 View Post

I�m having the same thing on my 90. It�s old enough that state inspection (in Texas) is no longer an issue, so I�m thinking about just eliminating the cat entirely.

Its supposidly not great for the environment and unless you put a resonater in its place it gets too loud for my taste and sounds obnoxious, not a nice loud. In my opinion its a if you include your time as a little bit valuable its cheaper and easier to buy a new cat and bolt it in or grab another used one than it is to weld in another resonator. As far as car parts go in general the festiva converter is pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jrclark32
    replied
    Originally posted by CyberEric View Post
    Banged around under the car yesterday, and I think it's actually the cat breaking up internally. Dang.
    I’m having the same thing on my 90. It’s old enough that state inspection (in Texas) is no longer an issue, so I’m thinking about just eliminating the cat entirely.

Leave a comment:

• CyberEric
    replied
    I didn't see any, but I'll double check. Thanks!

It looks like there's an '88 323 in my local junkyard, so I might check that out, at least for the manifold.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Thw heat shield around the cat fills with rocks, your sure its not that?
    The bolts usually break when you try to take the heat shield off so ive always just lived with it...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CyberEric
    replied
    Banged around under the car yesterday, and I think it's actually the cat breaking up internally. Dang.

Leave a comment:

• CyberEric
    replied
    Thanks for the tips on the exhaust rattle. I'll take a look this weekend.

Are there any decent off the self suspension upgrades for these cars?

Leave a comment:

• sc72
    replied
    1990new has hit most of the rattles but also check the shield around the cat it self, those rattle quite badly. congrats on finding your car.

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

One other thing, how do I tell what the trim level is? This thing has virtually no options, so I'm guessing it's whatever the stripper trim is.
    For the 1991 Festiva, position 6-7 of your vin number will be 05 for L or 06 for GL.

Leave a comment:

• CyberEric
    replied
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

One other thing, how do I tell what the trim level is? This thing has virtually no options, so I'm guessing it's whatever the stripper trim is.

Leave a comment:

• 1990new
    replied
    I suggest that you check the following 3 things which may lead you to the source of your vibration:
    1. Make sure the downpipe connection at the exhaust manifold is not leaking
    2. Make sure the clamp that connects the downpipe to the bracket just in front and under the bottom pan is secure.
    3. Make sure that none of the exhaust pipe and muffler connections are leaking (especially around the donut seal in front of the cat

And if it is the sheath around the downpipe, you can secure it with a hose clamps.
    Last edited by 1990new; 03-12-2018, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Check the downpipe. There is sort of a sheath that goes over it that rattles

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• CyberEric
    replied
    ^Thanks!

Is there a common exhaust rattle on these cars? I checked the hangers and they all look okay, but the car emits a rattle that sounds like a lose exhaust pipe, only in gear.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    TominMO, that's fantastic information, thank you very much! Exactly the type of tip I was looking for!

Is that an exhaust manifold from a first-gen B6 from any car, be it Mazda, Ford or Kia?
    It will come from a 1986 - 89 Mazda 323 or an 1987 - 89 Mercury Tracer.

Leave a comment:

• Grizzly5984
    replied
    [/QUOTE]

Grizzly5984, I'd love to hear how the Federals work.

[/QUOTE]

Been driving on the Federals this week every morning. Smooth as butter, even at 70. At around 75 there is a tiny shimmy in the steering wheel. If I didn't drive it before the new tires I don't think I'd have noticed it. I love em so far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X