Power steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering?

My existing rack and pinion are almost worn out, and I'm curious what it would take to add power steering to my manual festiva.

Do I just need something like this, and a pump? And where do I run power for it, if so?

Don't get me wrong, Jack is incredibly easy to steer on the road, but backing it slowly into tight spaces for my job all day long can be a real bear.

The Little Jack - 1993 L 5-Speed Manual

Parts you'll need:
    -P/S Rack
    -P/S Pump w/ pulley
    -Bracketry
    -Hardware
    -Pressure/Return Hoses
    -Proper Belt
    -I remember seeing some discrepancy about the U-Joint from the steering shaft, but I don't recall the details; probably about a specific year

You can use the Festiva power rack or the Kia Rio power rack(marginally softer/slower), both can be found in a wrecking yard but read up on the details regarding total length, tie rod inner/outer ends, etc...

When removing the tie rods, count the number of turns as you take them off; full turns or half turns, either way, just be consistent and write them down so you can put them on the same to achieve proper toe (assuming it was proper beforehand)

Make sure the rack is centered when you put it in so your steering wheel will be straight and so the spool valve will be centered (not a problem if you keep track of toe and it was already correct)

It may take some persuasion to get the old rack out and the new one in, so be careful to not tear the new bellows, kink any lines, or mar any threads.
    Just slide it to one side, drop it down, and ease it out

Would recommend going through all the bolt holes with a thread chaser (not a tap) and torquing properly.

If any ball joints or bushing are worn, just replace them. I know every one makes a budget beater out of these cars, but this is safety we're talking about...
    If you like polybushings, you can find them at different auto retailers like Autozone, O'Reilly, and Rock Auto. A few people have said they make the ride stiffer, but with stock suspension, I haven't noticed any comfort difference. What I have noticed is that they've held up pretty well and I've put some hard abuse on them.

If you have any questions:
    Feel free to ask
    Provide pictures whenever possible
    and remember
    The search bar is a valuable tool
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

The biggest issue for me was to get a rubber boot off an Aspire to cover up the extended steering knuckle at the base of the steering column. That part has to be put on before the steering column is slid back into place.

The pump is a Mitsubishi pump. Just look on ebay for one that looks the same.
      The first pump I bought could not be rebuilt. I would not build pressure. I had to throw it out.
      My v-belt pulley was from a Mazda 929. The pump is mounted above the A/C pump.
      Make sure you purchase a left hand drive power steering rack.

Last edited by bravekozak; 06-02-2018, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aroihkin View Post
        My existing rack and pinion are almost worn out, and I'm curious what it would take to add power steering to my manual festiva.

Do I just need something like this, and a pump? And where do I run power for it, if so?

Don't get me wrong, Jack is incredibly easy to steer on the road, but backing it slowly into tight spaces for my job all day long can be a real bear.
        My Festiva has 165/55-14 tires and the 2001 Kia Rio front strut tops. These tops have actual ball bearings, not just a thrust washer like the Festiva/Aspire tops have. That combination actually feels as easy as power steering. Took me a while to get used to, because it's so responsive. I'd recommend getting the Rio strut tops first, then see if you still want PS.
        Last edited by TominMO; 06-02-2018, 06:37 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Comment

@Everyone: Amazing info, thank you guys so much! I figured there had to be more to it, but searching the forums hadn't pulled up much for me and I'm still learning all this stuff from jump.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            My Festiva has 165/55-14 tires and the 2001 Kia Rio front strut tops. These tops have actual ball bearings, not just a thrust washer like the Festiva/Aspire tops have. That combination actually feels as easy as power steering. Took me a while to get used to, because it's so responsive. I'd recommend getting the Rio strut tops first, then see if you still want PS.
            Does it feel as easy while almost at a standstill? I have to back into these spots so slowly that I may as well be parked, because of people walking around or parking badly on either side of me.

I plan to do a suspension and brake swap at some point (still running stock), but if that's going to help this issue that much then it's definitely getting bumped up the list.

Comment

Anything over 2 or 3 mph turns my 175/65r14s smooth as butter with the Rio tops. Note I keep my tires aired up to 40psi, so that helps tremendously.
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                Anything over 2 or 3 mph turns my 175/65r14s smooth as butter with the Rio tops. Note I keep my tires aired up to 40psi, so that helps tremendously.
                How is your tread wear with that much pressure? I had my 155/80-12s at 35psi and was getting a little bit of extra wear in the center

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
                  Parts you'll need:
                  -P/S Rack
                  -P/S Pump w/ pulley
                  -Bracketry
                  -Hardware
                  -Pressure/Return Hoses
                  -Proper Belt
                  -I remember seeing some discrepancy about the U-Joint from the steering shaft, but I don't recall the details; probably about a specific year

You can use the Festiva power rack or the Kia Rio power rack(marginally softer/slower), both can be found in a wrecking yard but read up on the details regarding total length, tie rod inner/outer ends, etc...

When removing the tie rods, count the number of turns as you take them off; full turns or half turns, either way, just be consistent and write them down so you can put them on the same to achieve proper toe (assuming it was proper beforehand)

Make sure the rack is centered when you put it in so your steering wheel will be straight and so the spool valve will be centered (not a problem if you keep track of toe and it was already correct)

It may take some persuasion to get the old rack out and the new one in, so be careful to not tear the new bellows, kink any lines, or mar any threads.
                  Just slide it to one side, drop it down, and ease it out

Would recommend going through all the bolt holes with a thread chaser (not a tap) and torquing properly.

If any ball joints or bushing are worn, just replace them. I know every one makes a budget beater out of these cars, but this is safety we're talking about...
                  If you like polybushings, you can find them at different auto retailers like Autozone, O'Reilly, and Rock Auto. A few people have said they make the ride stiffer, but with stock suspension, I haven't noticed any comfort difference. What I have noticed is that they've held up pretty well and I've put some hard abuse on them.

If you have any questions:
                  Feel free to ask
                  Provide pictures whenever possible
                  and remember
                  The search bar is a valuable tool
                  I forgot something:
                  -Reservoir

Comment

I have one Festy, a '91, with PS (and AC). Seriously, the only time I found it useful was when I had my right arm in a sling due to a nasty break. The PS made it easier to maneuver in parking lots.

I keep my front tires on my fleet at 35-36psi and do not notice any issues with center wear. I run about 30 on the rears and likewise see no wear issues. I can really feel it in the steering if I'm down just a few psi on the fronts.

Seriously, unless you have nothing to do with your time, I wouldn't mess with PS on a Festy. The same goes for steering column "tilt" which of course came standard in LXs.
                    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-06-2018, 01:14 AM.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Like Tom said, try the Rio top hats before you go to all the trouble of finding/installing power steering. You use your Festy for work?? Dream job!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by radi8u View Post
                        Like Tom said, try the Rio top hats before you go to all the trouble of finding/installing power steering. You use your Festy for work?? Dream job!!!!
                        Yeah, I'm gonna try that first. And I do! Most of my job is driving, so I alternate between my festiva and another car, depending on the weather or which one I'm working on at the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X