No announcement yet.

Leaking in trunk from ABOVE taillights.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking in trunk from ABOVE taillights.

Hey all, thought I had the typical leaking taillights, so I whipped up some gaskets and sprayed water on the trunk. THe gaskets seemed to work, but low and behold, the water is coming from ABOVE the taillights! I can see it dripping down from above when I look up in there.

Any ideas? Maybe it's the vents above the taillights that are leaking? What are those?

Thanks!

Try the body seam seals on TOP of the car. Reseal them with a good quality sealant.
    1967 GTA 351 Roller GT40
    1988 Festiva LX B5 Turbo, MegaSquirt, Aspire Swap
    2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    2013 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost

Governments rest on the consent of the governed, and that it is the right of the people to alter or abolish them whenever they become destructive of the ends for which they were established.

--JEFFERSON DAVIS

Comment

Had a leak there once thought it was the tail lights to gaskets didn't fix it so I used some clear silicone around those black vents stopped leaking. I'd try the vents next it's the easiest and see if it stops leaking.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll start by putting some silicone around the black vents and see if that stops it. If not, I'll try the body seam seals on the top.

Comment

What is the condition of the metal at the vents? If it's rusted and uneven it will be hard to seal. You may need to clean up and paint the metal to get any sealant to work.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Sealed up around the vents with some silicone, and so far it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks all!

Comment

Is there a trick for removing those vents from the body w/o destroying them?: They do originally have a seal but in just a little prodding on mine they simply crumbled.

Comment

Working...
              X