Thinking of getting a Festiva, a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a Festiva, a few questions

Hey all, I've been thinking recently about picking up a second vehicle so that I can retire my Jeep from daily-driver duty for some intensive repair work (read: new engine). It would need to be small, good on gas, inexpensive, fun to drive, and I'd like to buy something a little unusual. One of my coworkers recently purchased a Festiva, and after talking with him I think that a Festiva would fit all my criteria. I just have a few questions to ask of all of you before I make up my mind.

How does the Festiva stack up in the longevity department? Whatever car I buy will probably be driven 100,000 miles in the next three years or so (several cross-country trips per year). Are there any years of Festiva to stay away from? Are the fuel-injected years more reliable than the carbed? Is the five-speed better than the four (no auto for me).

Another question, this one a bit sillier. I know a Festiva is a small car, but is it small enough to fit into the eight-foot bed of a pickup truck? I don't have a trailer, so if I need to drive a ways to find a rust-free Festiva and can't find someone to accompany me, I may need to do something like put it in the back of my dad's F-250 if it'd fit (the truck can safely carry almost 3500 pounds in the bed, and I have a pair of long ramps that I'm sure could handle a thousand pounds apiece).

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Matt

Re: Thinking of getting a Festiva, a few questions

Originally posted by Mambeu

Another question, this one a bit sillier. I know a Festiva is a small car, but is it small enough to fit into the eight-foot bed of a pickup truck?

Matt
    festiva's are 11 feet long, bumper to bumper
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
    Paulbarrera12.com
    Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting a Festiva, a few questions

Originally posted by xanthinic12
      Originally posted by Mambeu

Another question, this one a bit sillier. I know a Festiva is a small car, but is it small enough to fit into the eight-foot bed of a pickup truck?

Matt
      festiva's are 11 feet long, bumper to bumper
      Well, that sucks. What's the wheelbase of a Festiva? With the tailgate down, I have 10.5 feet to work with, though I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable with any significant weight on the tailgate.

Comment

theres probably 1 foot and a half in front of each wheel so about 8 feet, when i move my car i load it into the back of a truck. i don't know about a pickup truck
        Paulbarrera12.com

Comment

like this?
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

i've had my festiva for 3 years now, i've put about 100,000 kilometres on it, and i have rarely had troubles with it, (it's a 93 fuel injected) i find them to be very reliable, the only major work i've done it is replaced the tranny and clutch, but that's only because i beat the living piss out of it, so it was my own fault i had to do that
            5 speeds are always better than 4 speeds, you have a better top end and better milage

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

The tailgate on earlier Ford trucks is supposed to hold a ton, don't know about newer ones ....
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

I sold my first Festiva with 270,000 miles on it. The new owners reported a while back that they hit 300,000 miles. I had no significant problems with it. My current one only has 130,000, but haven't had any problems with it either. The engines and trannys are about as good as they get.

Most common problems - mufflers, CV joint boots, parking brake, windows rolling up and down in cold weather.

As far as putting it in a pickup - bad idea. Rent a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
                  Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to rent a tow dolly.

Now if I could just find a nice 90-93 five speed within a few hours' drive of central New York...

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
                    Thats how I got my red car home!
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

Festivas are the best

I've had a '92L, since June, of last year. I have consistently put 170 miles per day on it, and it does not complain. I put over 42K miles on it in one year. Definitely the best car I've ever owned...

If you can find a decent Festy, BUY IT!!
                      Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

Re: Festivas are the best

Originally posted by juryrigger007
                        42K miles on it in one year.
                        wow, 42k miles? i barely put 5000 a year
                        Paulbarrera12.com

Comment

Working...
                        X