One very pooched B3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One very pooched B3.

I tore into the old B3 last night, to separate the various metals for a scrap run. While tearing it down I looked around carefully to see why it ran so badly, why there was coolant in the oil, and so forth.

There was a small leak in the head gasket, that explained the oil/water mix, but I still wanted to find out what was making such a racket. (sounded like a pooched rod bearing) The crank mains were fine, the rod bearings were fine, everything in the head was okay-ish, but then I popped out piston number one and found the problem.

About 1/8" of the piston was missing from the side. There was a path blown right through the top surface, the ring landings and the rings! Weird. I guess that explains that.

Jim

when I bought the silver car it had not been running for 7 years because the owners son had driven it almost 100 miles with close to zero oil in it. I started tearing it down and found a hole about the size of a dime in center of the #4 piston. Probably would have still run a little longer, I drove my blue car with about half the #3 exhuast valve missing... it didn't fire on that cylinder the ride was a little bumpy, but it ran for close to 3K miles like that, and it was still running when I pulled the motor for a rebuild.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

LOL its hard to believe how bad these engines can get and still run, you wait till I pull my top half off of the old engine in my car, .........I'll take some pics so we can all have a laugh :lol:

Comment

my 91 makes a main bearing or rod bearing noise for the past 7 years and i drive it to work with no problems

Comment

Do you have a pic?? would be kinda funny to see!
          *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

No pics. The engine has gone to the metal yard already. I think I may have one piston left though. Maybe I'll make it into a belt buckle.

Jim

Comment

I saw someone with a piston belt buckle, it was badass
              -posted via blackberry!
              *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

Working...
              X