No announcement yet.

When working on your car, do it right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When working on your car, do it right.

So I got my fusible link issue done and my car starts up fine but dies when I give it gas and let go back done to idle. So I look and look to try and find out what the problem may be and can't find anything. I don't work on it everyday, only a couple times a week. My friend comes over and we put our heads together and we are looking at the distributor and find there are two different bolts holding the cap on. We don't really pay attention to it and look at the cap and rotor. We find that they are a little corroded so we clean it and put it back on. Then we see it...one of the bolts is broken off in the distributor. It was just put back in to make it look like it was holding something in. So we find something to hold the distributor down and start the car up and everything was all better. It drove fine and no problems what so ever. The cap and rotor are corroded and the bolt needs to be tapped out so the cap can fit on there properly. I don't understand why people do things like that when working on cars. If you're not going to do it right then don't do it at all, or at least fix it properly. Things like that just anger me. Grrrrr!!! :x

I hate that too....but at least you got it running and driveable. Get it fixed soon
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Im not even going to get started. But I know what you mean.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I know how you feel!

For that reason I do all the work on my cars.
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

i bought a 79 couger from a friend because it ran bad so i get working on it found out shade tree mechanic did not tighten carb down tight plus grey duck tape blocking off a vacume port on carb, hatchet job

Comment

at a party my friends opel manta the accelerator cable snapped so i put some kite string on the carb and ran it through he driverside window so he can pull on it so he could at least get home so two beeks go by and i get a phone call from him to take a ride with him to pay a ticket so he pulls up i get in and noticed he was still using the string. i understand you have to things in emergency but two weeks go by without even trying to repair it.

Comment

LOL! Too funny. I'll never understand some people.

Comment

When I bought my Festy , it had a coat hanger wire holding the disty cap on , no screw , the hole was stripped :roll: :roll:

It has 2 screws in it now :lol:
                ------------------------------------------------
                The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

It's almost like the BP Festiva I just got... the wiring harness was all hacked apart; wires were everywhere, electrical taped together in the engine bay, hot wires were left without tape so they could touch a ground and spark or fry something...

So the past 3 days have been spent pulling a stock harness from a junker Festiva my uncle has, removing the harness from the BP tiva and now reinstalling it and getting this car to run...

I'm amazed that the car ran at all when DJ had it. I don't know what harness this was using or how any of it worked, but I'm glad to know that now it's done correctly...
                  Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

like my mechanic friend harry says" looks like someone worked on it with a meat cleaver" meaning my couger i bought. my 78 pickup truck i bought it had an extra small hose on the radiator that was not needed so someone drove a spark plug in the hose to keep the coolent from leaking.
                    guess what i bought the couger and the pickup truck from the same guy.

Comment

I've seen that spark plug trick once before, except I'm not sure on what car it was...
                      Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

oh yes brutal.

Comment

my old mechanic friend eddie was a bypass surgeon...by pass this and bypass that.

Comment

How about the guy who welded the axle washer onto my rear I beam spindle after stripped the threads. Needless to say makes it kinda hard to check the brakes. Even take the spindle assy off to change it out.

David

Comment

one word for it dahodges...brutal

Comment

Working...
                              X