hypermilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypermilers

people obsessed by fuel mileage. any thoughts on this article. i saw this over on the toyota van board thought it was interesting. one of ours members brenton netz, has 4 metro xfi's. what a traitor! one he is getting 62mpg at 57mph. but i still like festiva's better. sad the best new car that come close to that is a hybred or the smart.

i was driving to omaha today, and high gas sure hasnt slowed people down any. and i saw no other festiva's either. and my 88' turned 18k miles today.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Aren't they 3 cylinders? And how long does it take for hjim to get up ro 57 mph?
    Plus if he is driving on the freeway in front of me at 57mph when the speedlimit is 60 or more likely 65.... He will be getting better mileage because I will be pushing him. I do not have to speed, but doing the speed limit is a must!
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

That's an interesting article, I don't know about shutting off the engine, but driving like a 90-year-old has really improved my mileage
      4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

I've averaged over 47 mpg for over 12,000 miles now. My best tank was 53.8 mpg! I use some hypermiling techniques. I shut it off at stoplights and coast down some hills with the engine off. You should check out www.gassavers.org You can see my gas log there, I'm the only Festiva in a world of Geos and Hondas (I'm down around number twenty on the list). My drive to work is not conducive to some of the extremely high mileage that some people on the site get (I can't coast 37 miles to work ).
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

yes they are 3 cylinders. :lol: "i'll be pushing him" :lol: he would probably appreciate that and shut off his engine for better mileage.

Comment

Kraig,

Are you Xtiva on gassavers.org? I noticed it states Old EPA and New EPA MPG ratings, what's with that?

Quote:"New EPA rating 30/37 - 33 combined mpg
            (Old EPA 35/41 38)
            I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

The goverment has changed the rediculous standards used to give MPG averages on cars to more accuratley reflect the driving habbits of people. For instance before they would start off from a stop with a test car at 2mph per 10 feet acceleration, now it is like 4mph, so everyones fuel economy has taken a crap. This is good though, because in order for the Car manufactures to meet MPG averages the cars will actually have to be better. The prius used to be rated at I think 60 now it is 44 mpg hehe.

Comment

I'm "Ford Festiva" on gassavers, currently I'm number 15 on the list (I've been as high as 9 or 10). They go by a 90 day running average. My current 90 day average is 49.58 MPG
                1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)

Comment

My buddy with the festar.....

has been getting 50 mpg regularly with his stock 90 festiva L 5 speed with 200,000 original miles.
                  youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I saw this guy on TV last week. From what they said he is some kind of hypermiler superstar, cuz he managed to get 160mpg out of his Prius. How'd he do it? By being an annoying bastard to every other car on the street!

He says he drives an average of 15-20 mph below the speed limit, and uses a technique where he speeds up a little, and then coasts down. He also avoids using the brakes: rather than slow down for a corner, go around, then speed up again, he just goes slow enough all the time that he can take corners. He had a real holier than thou attitude as well.

I really hate people like this. He'd better hope I never get behind him.

Jim

Comment

My last three tanks have averaged almost 53 mpg! The guy I got my car from says he got over 50 mpg on the highway with the A/C on.

Comment

sounds like the guy from the article, monkeyracing. and he is a rich guy too.
                        he would probably appreciate a push, then he could turn off the car and coast. :wink:

Comment

i get about 42. my peak was 47 last summer, but i dont drive like a 90 year old :lol:. i've heard of people in festivas on here getting a rediculous 25 or 30. how on earth can a 1.3 get 25 mpg? even in an aspire i wouldn't think its possible.
                          89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                          92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                          New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by geezerstiva
                            i get about 42. my peak was 47 last summer, but i dont drive like a 90 year old :lol:. i've heard of people in festivas on here getting a rediculous 25 or 30. how on earth can a 1.3 get 25 mpg? even in an aspire i wouldn't think its possible.
                            When you are driving a carbed festiva that needs the carb rebuilt.
                            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Yeah I get 29 mpg average on my BP swap with higher geared tranny, and that is with regular 100 mph bursts. I bet if I could drive at a regular speed I would get 35 mpg easy. Hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X