Out of gas, now won't restart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of gas, now won't restart...

With a broken fuel gauge, I miscalculated my mileage and ran out of gas this morning. Wife brought me a couple gallons of gas and I was able to restart and drive the remaining 3 miles to work. Upon leaving work tonight, the Festy started ok and as I pulled out of my space, it died. I restarted and it ran for 20-30 seconds and then died again. This was repeated for about ten times. Then the car wouldn't start at all; turns over, but not start. I noticed that each time right before the motor quit, I heard a "click" from in the dash. It sounded like it circuit breaker switching off. Anyone got a clue what's going on? I left the car at work tonight and I'm gonna take more gas over tomorrow. I really hope that it's not out of gas again. As I mentioned in the beginning of this post, I put in almost 2 gallons and only drove about 3 miles. The last two times I got gas, the mileage was over 30 MPG.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
    Vance

When you put the key in and turn it to on do you hear the fuel pump going?
    OX SMASH!!

Comment

Now that you mention it, I don't recall hearing the little buzz from back there. Is there a separate fuse for the pump? As I said earlier the Festy is at work, so I'll have to check it tomorrow and let you know then. The pump and tank for that matter was replaced last summer.

Comment

My trusty Haynes manual left me confused again. I looked in the fuel system section and it refers to electric fuel pumps on injected models. I have an '88 Festy thats a carbed model, I've seen what looks like the mechanical pump on the rear driver's side of the motor, yet I destictly remember hearing an electric fuel pump when I first got the car. I assume that I have just gotten used to hearing it.

Could all my trouble be the inertia switch? Granted, I didn't give the car any kind of shock or hit, I'm just grasping for straws at this point...

Before I left the car at work, I pulled the air cleaner off and opened the throttle and didn't see or hear any gas spraying into the carb. Would the key need to be turned on to get the pump running or with enough pressure in the fuel line be sufficient to produce that spray?

Thanks,
        Vance

Comment

you probably flooded the engine w/fuel. i forgot what u do when you flood the engine. Give it time I guess.

make sure you put a lot of gas in it too. When i ran out of gas once I had to put 2 2-gallon full things into the tank before it would start again.
          Wil
          02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
          00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
          05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
          93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
          96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
          93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

Thanks Gro Harlem.

I'm still curious about that clicking noise I heard from under the dash. Any clue on that guys?

Vance

Comment

The clicking sound is the relays energising. It's normal.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

ok, easy one. Carbed engine, mechanical pump on cyl head, no electric pump. Carbed Festies are prone to fuel fouling the plugs. Put in a fresh set and retry. Also, check you fuel filter, may be blocked. To check the pump and filter, remove the fuel line to the carb, and have someone crank the engine. A good pump and clear filter will let fuel squirt out about 1-2 feet from the end of the hose. If the flow is weak, replace the filter first, then the pump.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

When I left work today, I was able to check the gas level and there's practiclly a full tank.

According to the paperwork I got with the car, the fuel pump, (mechanical) was replaced on 11/08/04, just three weeks before the previous owner had problems and thought she blew up the motor. I think that I'm now facing the same problem, (fouled plugs maybe) however I'm dismissing the motor as toast just yet.

I''ll try repalcing the plugs and might as well replace the wires, cap and rotor while I'm at it. Update to follow...

Thanks again,
                  Vance

Comment

just my 2 cents here.
                    i had a jeep and it never started after i ran it out of gas.
                    what had happened was when i ran it down all the crap in the tank plugged up the filter and carb.
                    i have fuel injection so in my case it is differnt but i would go oldschool and pull the line from the pump and see if there is gas there.
                    then hook it up and turn it over with the hose off the carb and see if it pumps.
                    but remember this is gas and it starts fires so be carefull.

Comment

This morning I checked the gas line coming out of the pump that goes into the carb. Gas flows out nicely when engine turning over. Checked plugs for spark and found no spark. Checked coil wire going into dist. cap and found A LOT or corrosion dust, obviously a bag connection possibility. Also got no spark from coil wire.

I'm leaving now to replace cap, plugs, rotor, wires and coil. Updates to follow...

Thanks,
                      Vance

Comment

After replacing all the previously mentioned parts, Festy still won't start. There is no spark out of the coil. The only main componant that is left to replace it the ignition stater. After that, I'm genuinely lost.

Any ideas?

Vance

Comment

test the coil first. Procedure is in Haynes - just need a multimeter. Simple. Carbed coils are cheap, too, so you could just replace it for $12.

Comment

I replaced the coil along with the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I just figured it'd be smart to do it all at once.

I posted this same issue under another thread called 'No spark from coil'. I appoliogize for the double posting, but I'm getting REALLY frustraited. In that other thread I was told about the fuseable links on the strut tower. Would any of these have a direct or indirect affect on the spark from the coil, or lack there of? If so, what do I need to know regarding checking and fixing a problem here?

Thanks again,
                            Vance

Comment

The fuse links are located on the drivers strut tower. You check them as you would any other fuse. Just pull the fuse and check continuity. If they are the original I would change them for the cartridge type. The original ones are made from a piece of wire and will corrode and the replacement ones are more like a regular fuse. Not sure what all 3 power.

Here is a thread on fusible links http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/vie...ight=fuse+link

Here is a pic of my fuses. The center one is a new type and the others are the original.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
                              BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
                              BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
                              New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X