carbed festiva idles high all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbed festiva idles high all the time

I have a 1988 lx with power steering and ac that wont idle any lower than 3000rpms. Ive checked vaccum lines and it has new cap rotor plugs/wires. It seems like its getting way too much fuel and every adjustment i found on the carb does not make any difference.

Welcome my son!

Now go to "profile" above and educate us as to your approximate physical location.

Then follow this link:

"Search" is a powerful tool once you have mastered it.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

if the wire from the alternator to the electric choke is not hooked up , they will idle very high.i just repaired one that was doing the same thing.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I will check that today thank you very much. It was running great when i drove it to work but it started idling high when i went to drive home. Other than the idle problem its been a great little car.

Comment

The wire going from the alt to the choke was still in good shape I took some brake cleaner and a wire brush to it to make sure the connection was still good and it still idles at about 3000 to 3500 rpms. All the linkages are cleaned up and seem to be doing what they are supposed to.

Comment

my 89 did the same after i sprayed some carb cleaner down the throat, rpms stuck while test driving, i guess i loosened some gunk in the back barrel that caused the throttle plate not to shut completely, stopped the car and sprayed some more cleaner down throat and worked the throttle plate up and down with plastic screwdriver to make sure the plate closed and now runs fine,,,u may want to oil your accelerator cable too, may be sticking or have a burr in the cable,, and check the dashpot for free movement ,after reading your post, do u just have high idle with a/c on or is it all the time,,,let us know,,,,
            previous cars to fix up;
            86 300ZX
            85 RX7 GSL
            88 Corolla FX
            89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

It idles high all the time I took the ac belt off cause it doesnt work anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X