Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny rebuild

'88 Festiva... 180,000 miles 4speed manual

I had a noise in the transmission. I changed the throw out bearing, pressure plate. and clutch plate, that was not the problem. I drove it a few miles and it started popping out of 4th gear, then it got to the point that it wouldn't go in to 4th at all.

So I figure it is time to change/rebuild the transmission and I see a bunch of change outs with used transmissions and not many rebuilds.

My question is... how hard is it for somebody with good mechanical skills to rebuild a transmission in a Festiva... and what special tools are required?
    There is no love for the 4 speed...

just curious but why would you want to rebuild it? the 4 speed is far from being a desirable transmission to begin with and the hard fact is that you won't be able to find replacement parts for it. your best bet would be to find a good used 5 speed, or if you have some fabrication skills an aspire 5-speed or the capri 5 speed. they are both stronger and have better gear ratios. i don't think you would need any special tools to rebuild it (as i had my 5 speed apart without any unusual tools) but it is a 18 year old car, and the replacement parts are pretty much non-existant. thats why i have a dissasembled aspire 5 speed in my garage right now instead of in my festiva.
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

So there is no love for the 4 speed....

The four speed did everything that I needed. The car goes 80MPH. It gets me from a to b.

But if there aren't any parts available... I will switch to the 5 speed. I am in the Portland Metro area and found one for $350.

Comment

I know that ram auto in lacey has a 4spd for $250 and a 5spd for $300. I'm sure there are other small junk yards that would be cheaper, the hard part is spending an hour on the phone. I found a festy engine with 5spd for $150 which I'm not going to buy, but it would be a 4 hour drive for you to get to it.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

one more question

Thanks! I think I will stick with the Portland market. I don't have to pay sales tax and I don't have to drive 4 hours.

Now for my question... if there are no new parts available how do transmission shops... like those listed on car-part.com rebuild them?

How did rotinaj13 repair his? (see post http://www.fordfestiva.com/forum/vie...ghlight=tranny)

I also saw one that listed a new one for $950.00. (core charge $250)

Comment

well you can still get syncros but most of the hard parts are obsolete. as for the repair shops...i have no clue where they would get parts, when i talked to the ford dealer he said that most of the parts are completely unavailable in the U.S. so i dunno you might bust it open and see whats broken or worn but imho it would just be a whole lot faster and probably cheaper in the long run to buy a good used tranny to swap in. then if you still wanna rebuild the one in it, go for it and sell it on ebay.
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Drivetrain com Discount Automotive and Truck Parts Ring and Pinions, Transmission and Transfer Case Parts, Overdrives, Positractions, Towing products Free technical support 800 216 1632

has a good mix of Ford, Mazda and Kia manual trans parts
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Fixed!!!

I put in a used 5 speed out of a '90. I found one for $240 bucks.

The '90 bolted right in no problems at all. (no more shift light is all)

Thanks for all your advice and recommendations!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aithanmier
                  just curious but why would you want to rebuild it? the 4 speed is far from being a desirable transmission to begin with and the hard fact is that you won't be able to find replacement parts for it. your best bet would be to find a good used 5 speed, or if you have some fabrication skills an aspire 5-speed or the capri 5 speed. they are both stronger and have better gear ratios. i don't think you would need any special tools to rebuild it (as i had my 5 speed apart without any unusual tools) but it is a 18 year old car, and the replacement parts are pretty much non-existant. thats why i have a dissasembled aspire 5 speed in my garage right now instead of in my festiva.
                  bull there are places that sell shit for that tranny. it is a mazda tranny so there is some interchangability. Trust me I rebuilt mine. It is more then likely the syncro ring. However it is more to buy the syncro rings for it then it would be to buy a junk yard transmission. btw use google and thou shall recieve. there u be good reverand! LOL

Comment

More tranny problems

So I found a old 5 speed tranny. Now the thing is grinding in first second and third gear.

I found parts for it on drivetrain.com.

Also, I called some junk yards around here. A used 5 speed is rare and about $450.

So is it better to rebuild or find a junk one? If better to rebuild any special tools you need?

Comment

I can get 4 for 75 bucks each at my local salvage yard, prices suck where you all are at.
                      logan

Comment

$125 for a 5 speed in my junk yard and that's after they take it out for me a little steep but for a five speed that's not to bad.
                        -Bizarre-
                        keeper of The Brave Little Toaster and Bizarre

Comment

Working...
                        X