Copper plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper plug wires

I have kept my mouth shut for a while, I had my hesitation and stalling come back.
    I always thought that something I did by changing the engine caused the problem.
    I thought it must have been something on the new engine that came with the problem.
    After much more reading and thinking what could be different I realized besides all new gaskets I replaced the cap rotor and wires.
    I thought I was doing the Ignition system a favor by putting copper wires on it there fore increasing spark voltage.
    I used to do this on Carburetor cars with standard ignition, always started and ran better.
    When I started the car for the first time, I listened to the new radio for RFI problems. I heard nothing!
    Turns out the radio is well shielded.
    The RFI was affecting the ignition system and causing all my problems.
    After I told the two very good mechanics I neglected to tell them I did this they said using copper wires on electronic ignitions is a definite no no.
    I feel dumb but I learned something again.
    it runs so sweet
    91 L 5spd

WOW - You would have thought - GREAT THING TO KNOW!
    Thanks for sharing this information.

Comment

Didn't know about the copper wires problems. I always just get the premade packs of wires for a vehicle. Where did you get copper wires?
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I just asked for a copper universal wire set. They are used on tractors and off road without electronic ignition I guess.
        Don't ask for one unless it is for you lawnmower.
        it runs so sweet
        91 L 5spd

Comment

My Midget has copper wires.

Comment

My '64 TR4-A IRS, My '66 2+2 mustang, '69 2+2, and many others had them too ,
            it runs so sweet
            91 L 5spd

Comment

Like solid core wires?
              www.dantheoilman.com
              AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
              Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
              Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
                Like solid core wires?
                Yep. The ends that clip onto the plugs are copper as well. They aren't insulated so you can see the copper.

Comment

These look just like silicone covered yellow wires with boots on both ends, the same type of boot you would find on any other plug wire, they were a universal set Meant for off "highway use only".
                  They are a good set of wires for something? you could probably go through a whole bunch of macinations to shield them, but it just ain't worth it. I think they were $12.
                  it runs so sweet
                  91 L 5spd

Comment

Working...
                  X