HEATING TIPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEATING TIPS

are there any tips to make my festiva heat better, seems like it takes forever to finally get warmed up and defrosted, and now that it is gettin cold i cant really go out and start an hour before i have to leave, if you guys know anything let me know, thanks

Make sure it has a factory two stage tstat. Place a cover behind the grill were the raditor isn't.

Comment

How is your cooling system condition .

Has it been maintained , flushed ?
      Yes , check the thermostat also .

I had heat in less than 5 min. this morning and was defrosting HEAVY frost on the windshield , and my rear window was already melted
      Thanks John ^
      ------------------------------------------------
      The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
      Smart Passion white with H-D interior
      HD2500 Duramax Chevy
      Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
      Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
      Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
      Z28 LS1 power 500 +
      90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
      It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

dont mean to jack the thread, but related,
        how hard should the fan blow? mine seems weak compared to most cars.
        89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
        RIP 90LX

Comment

i set the selecter on floor/defrost setting and i get 160 degree hot air blowing from defrost vent, fan is not very forcefull but does the trick...usually takes 3-5 minutes to get my heat going,,,not sure what t-stat came with the car when i got it... too bad our face vents cant be used during the winter,,,wierd design.
          previous cars to fix up;
          86 300ZX
          85 RX7 GSL
          88 Corolla FX
          89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

When it get's really cold(say -20 F or colder), there isn't much you can do, it will never get toasty warm in the cab. Festivas just don't have great heaters. I usually cut up pop cases and cover up the front end. Place the cardboard right over the entire radiator, and cover up the other side where the A/C condenser would go. This helps to get the engine temp in the normal operating range. When the temp gets above 10-20 or so, you may have to slide the cardboard over a couple of inches to expose some of the radiator. Just keep an eye on the temp gage.

Comment

Festivas just don't have great heaters.
              Very true.

And, having completely removed the interior of mine this summer, I can tell you they have next to no insulation as well. Basically they have a little padding around the shifter, and on the floor where the feet go. That's it. :shock:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
              1989 L - 247K miles Slick
              1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
              Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I have seen block heater kits that install in a radiator hose,I am at work tho and 90 % of the internet is blocked so I cant post a link sorry
                96 Ford F-150 XLT
                93 Festiva L (Modified)
                92 Festiva L
                68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

BRE is the company that offers inline block heaters if I remember correctly,Google it,I disd see 1 on Ebay for a Mopar but it was for an 13/4 hose which would be to big but I'm sure they offer more.
                  96 Ford F-150 XLT
                  93 Festiva L (Modified)
                  92 Festiva L
                  68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Dress warm! It's winter.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by phantorn
                      BRE is the company that offers inline block heaters if I remember correctly,Google it,I disd see 1 on Ebay for a Mopar but it was for an 13/4 hose which would be to big but I'm sure they offer more.
                      How is a block heater going to help heat the car? Maybe your extension cord is a lot longer than mine is

I suppose you could get a large DC/AC inverter, then plug the block heater in while you drive. It would probably work even better to just get a large AC space heater and run that all the time.

Comment

It helps the car warm up faster in the AM.
                        Brian
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                        :fish:

Comment

harbor freight sells little DC heaters made to plug into a cig lighter. like $15 0r $20. might work good if you velcro it to the dash or something.
                          link...
                          tiny little automotive heater
                          '89L 5spd swap complete! (rusty red)
                          '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4/4.0 auto (musty maroon)
                          '05 Buell XB9SX Lightning (hero blue)

Comment

oh yeah, ive got one of those 120v car heaters mounted under my dash... that thing is worth its weight in gold.
                            ive got it on a timer with my block heater and it heats the car up nicely in the morning.
                            89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

Where do you get the block/radiator heaters and does it have to be just for the Festiva, I know nothing about them, so tell us more about the unit and install process etc....
                              previous cars to fix up;
                              86 300ZX
                              85 RX7 GSL
                              88 Corolla FX
                              89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X