No announcement yet.

HEATING TIPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some mount in the block thru a freeze plug .

Some are installed in a radiator hose , heat and circulate the water in the block .
    ------------------------------------------------
    The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
    Smart Passion white with H-D interior
    HD2500 Duramax Chevy
    Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
    Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
    Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
    Z28 LS1 power 500 +
    90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
    It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

^- FYI the cheap rad hose heaters dont atchuley circulate the coolant, they just heat whats sitting in the hose. (preety usuless) These are typically small. However there are big suckers that pump the coolant and heat it. Ive seen one at cambodian tire and there preety big, and if i remember correctly they tap into a heater hose.
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

Here are some different options for engine heaters for the Festiva.

I personally just installed the hot pad heater on the bottom of my wife's 96 Mazda Protege. It is very easy to do and heats the engine oil and the compartment to help on those cold morning starts. A freeze plug heater is probably more effective in the colder parts but it requires more work of course.
        1991 L 408,000 miles+ w/NEW B3 longblock!!
        2008 Nissan Versa S HB

Comment

Originally posted by mullet man
          harbor freight sells little DC heaters made to plug into a cig lighter. like $15 0r $20. might work good if you velcro it to the dash or something.
          The 12V DC ones are worthless. They just don't have enough output to do anything.

Donna, you don't need a block heater in Tennesee. It doesn't get cold enough down there to warrant a heater install.

I typically don't plug my car in until it gets like -15 to -20 or colder.

Comment

Originally posted by b3 madness
            Here are some different options for engine heaters for the Festiva.

I personally just installed the hot pad heater on the bottom of my wife's 96 Mazda Protege. It is very easy to do and heats the engine oil and the compartment to help on those cold morning starts. A freeze plug heater is probably more effective in the colder parts but it requires more work of course.
            Big selection there ! ^^

The one I have may be too big , It does circulate the coolant , it is 1000 watt and it does mount inline in the hose , It might melt down my car :lol:
            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
            Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

packrat, how do you like the circulating coolant heater? is it the temro/zerostart unit?
              ive heard that with those your heater blows hot right away cause the coolant is that hot.
              RIP 90LX

Comment

I am sure it is a zero start , I will get the box out tomorrow and take a pic of it .
                It is still new , I was afraid to install in on my car , fear of a melt down . :lol:

My car always warms up quick , a little slower when it is below zero .
                HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                Z28 LS1 power 500 +

Comment

You have to be careful with the inline/pump style heaters. A lot of cars (I don't know if the Festy is included) have a check valve in the cooling/heating system that will halt any circulation before it goes anywhere.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by monkeyracing
                    You have to be careful with the inline/pump style heaters. A lot of cars (I don't know if the Festy is included) have a check valve in the cooling/heating system that will halt any circulation before it goes anywhere.

Jim
                    Yeah, I'm not sure how those work either. The thermostat is closed, so how is it going to circulate?

I think the frost plug block heaters are still the best. You are applying the heat right where it is needed.

Comment

Most cars have a small bypass hose havent looked a my Festivas in awhile to be sure(work all day on cars dont feel like it when I get home)
                      96 Ford F-150 XLT
                      93 Festiva L (Modified)
                      92 Festiva L
                      68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

gdawgs the question was"are there any tips to make my festiva heat better, seems like it takes forever to finally get warmed up and defrosted" a block heater would help in this situation....Go Tigers
                        96 Ford F-150 XLT
                        93 Festiva L (Modified)
                        92 Festiva L
                        68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

not sure the temp block heaters go to but it might be hot enough to open the thermostat
                          96 Ford F-150 XLT
                          93 Festiva L (Modified)
                          92 Festiva L
                          68 Mustang GT 428cj

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs
                            Originally posted by monkeyracing

Jim
                            Yeah, I'm not sure how those work either. The thermostat is closed, so how is it going to circulate?

I think the frost plug block heaters are still the best. You are applying the heat right where it is needed.
                            the temro one that atchuley circulates the coolant installs in a heater hose. can't coolant always circulate to the heater even when the thermo is closed?
                            RIP 90LX

Comment

Oh, if it installs in the heater core hose, then it should work. The heater core circuit is always open to the engine block. The ones I was thinking of install into the radiator hose. Which to me doesn't make much sense. If the thermostat is closed, how does the heat get to the block? I suppose if you installed it in the lower hose, the heat would transfer back eventually. It just doesn't seem to be very efficient to me since you are going to heat the radiator water as well, which doesn't do you much good. You need to get the heat to the engine block. I guess I have never used one, so I don't really know for sure.

Comment

OK so i know nothing... i read all this and im still confused.... my heat sucks is it how its suoposed too be or is there somehting wrong? i noticed someone saying the face vents don't blow hot air, if so thats shame is there any way too fix that? and i don't wanna out cardboard behind the grill cause my temp gauge doesn't work. and i don't know how too fix it.... side note is there any way too make a site attached too this about my car so i can just list all my problems? and have people help me? cause i don't know where too start!

Comment

Working...
                                X