Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MUTTSTIVA LIVES!! But she's not too healthy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUTTSTIVA LIVES!! But she's not too healthy...

Today I connected the (kickdown solenoid?) between the lower carb and the firewall and hooked up that linkage to the throttle with the help of my friend Marie, who pushed down on the gas pedal for me while I fiddled.

I hooked up another vacuum hose or two. Some I identified as extraneous since their counterparts were already attached to my ebay carb.

After a few squirts of starting fluid, nothing was improving. After I did a few more things, she ran for about a minute! That wasn't starting fluid!

I started her a second time successfully and backed her out of my garage and then back halfway inside before I turned her off. She's still heating up excessively around the exhaust manifold and the warming pipe that comes off of it. I think it was Jim DeAngelis who thought this was an indication of "running too lean."

This is the same problem as I had before. The shop I took her to said she needed a good carb cleaning and/or rebuild. That's why I was working on the "replace carb" end of it.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure what to do other than to hire a mechanic to come out and look at her.

Tomorrow I'll also use the EVTM manual to try and decipher the vacuum lines and stuff. I'm running low on energy now.

I feel good though! She's alive!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Oh yeah!

I correctly reconnected a vac hose and put on the air cleaner assembly.

She started right up, I backed out and took her around the alley's short block. Pretty smooth.

After pulling back into the garage she still seemed to be a bit hot, but maybe sitting for a year does that. Sitting at idle produces some changes in idle speed which doesn't sound quite right. After shutoff there was about two seconds of dieseling.

One or two vac hoses are unconnected or missing, which could also be less than perfect. One is from the high altitude sensor to the carb.

I'll see what anyone can help suggest, and then I may take her in to a shop tomorrow. She should make it, if today's test run is a good indication.

I'm pretty happy right now as it is!

Suggestions, anyone?

Karl

Comment

should have said something b4 the meet I got all the sensors, vac lines, carb, and head... if something is missing let me know I will look for it on my assembly.

Comment

did you check the intake manifold gasket to the head? If that's leaking, that will cause similar symptoms.....

start it and let it idle, and squirt carb cleaner at the manifold to head joint. If the rpms increase, you have a leak. I prefer ether, but its tough to get a can of ether close the head without some going right into the carb, causing a false increase. Carb cleaner with straw (the skinny red ones that come with the can) gets good and close, but doesn't cause as much change, not as volatile as ether.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks AJ, if I need anything I'll let you know. Right now I'm clueless though.

Jim, I'll try that tomorrow or in the next few days and I'll let you know what happens.

Today I took her out of the garage and parked her and her sister in my back yard. Then Marie and I washed the Mutt and had a cookout!

Afterwards, I took Mutt for another test drive. Not so good. She doesn't like to go over 20 mph or accelerate worth a damn. She was real hot afterwards, too, just like before.

I painted her hood finally--not tie-dye like I had planned--but in a blue wispy line pattern over the white original finish. I think it looks good. Then when we reinstalled her hood, the latch wouldn't work! Problems, problems...

At least she'll probably be able to drive to a nearby shop though.

I had fun today. Got a lot done.

Thanks guys,

Karl

Comment

hmmm...are you sure you got all the vacuum lines hooked up right? maybe a fuel filter or pump...
            Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
            1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
            1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
            2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

I never changed the fuel filter. I should do that. I know where one vac line needs to be that ain't. I could spend another hour or two poring over the EVTM manual and getting crossed eyeballs.

Taking my shower before bed tonight I thought about this:

-I'm sick of carb crap!

-The Mutt was my first.

-She looks like the last car anyone who cares anything about "image" would ever want to be seen in. "Glory be to God for dappled things..."

-I've put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into her.

-She already has the Aspire suspension and brakes.

-She's already stripped down in the back. (Her other name is "Cargostiva.")

-I had a few hundred dollars worth of body work done to her rear wheel wells right after the suspension swap.

-She's supposed to be the "testbed."

-I love her!

I'm thinking put her up on jackstands and convert her to FI. Put in the damn B6. Enjoy. I may be able to buy a whole FI car from a coworker. If not, there's an FI car in the cheapyard nearby.

First I'll bite the bullet and do a head gasket job on Luxstiva. I need transport while the Mutt is in pieces. I have the knuckle/hubs Matt gave me, and the 165/70-12s that Brian gave me. Freshening up Lux will give me some more "mechanical experience."

I'm starting a new thread in the engine swap forum on this. I know most of what is needed, but I need to be reminded of what I'm missing, and some advice from anyone who has done this.

Do you all think I'm crazy?

Karl

Comment

Yes!

Just joking. Am curious how the carb to fi will be, as that is what I'll be doing with mine soon.

GOOD LUCK!!

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

works pretty good

Comment

Working...
                  X