clutch change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefan
    the 10mm is the bolt holding the spedo gear in take that out and pull out the thing that the spedo cable screws into
    Yeh don't take the 19mm out, about 1 inch below it towards the passenger side is the small 10mm hex head. Once that bolt is out....pull the cable by the 19mm hex.

Fill throught the openning that the speed cable was in. be sure to clean and lube the speed cable be for re-insertion.
    Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
    The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

yep LOL, i did the same thing with the speedo gear. dumped fluid into it without removing it (needless to say, it didnt work to well! lol). didnt relaize there was bolt holding a tab down to remove the entire gear assembly. it was so covered in road grime, just didnt even see it.
      kinda got to wiggle it to get it out of there, then pour the fluid in.

if you break it, let me know i have an extra speedo gear
      '89L 5spd swap complete! (rusty red)
      '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4/4.0 auto (musty maroon)
      '05 Buell XB9SX Lightning (hero blue)

Comment

ok awesome, haha ya I started to pour fluid in and it just went all over the floor.
        jdm impreza wrx
        1990 LX 5spd

Comment

Is there a new link for clutch job write-up?
          jdm impreza wrx
          1990 LX 5spd

Comment

In the case of a festiva it may be easier to roll the transmission out from under the jacked-up car, as I can see the master cylinder and other nearby parts getting in the way of pulling it up with an engine hoist. Then again, I'd say just use a hoist and do it right. Could give the parts a good cleaning while you have it pulled. Maybe even do a trans rebuild just for the fun/ "its-just-a-good-idea"-ness of it. That is, of course, if you haven't rebuilt it already...

Edit- For only $72.00, you could have a brand new flywheel to go with that clutch...
            Last edited by Basement_Modder; 05-30-2011, 12:30 PM.
            1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
            Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
            daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
            A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Id say pull the engine and tranny. We pull engines from these cars in about 45mins. If your a noob and havent pulled one before it will take you longer but its easy IMO. Like moder said, it would be a good idea to clean everything and this will give you a chance to clean the engine bay aswell. Once the engine is taken out the tranny just has 4 bolts holding it to the engine. Take the 4 bolts out and slide the tranny away from the engine. From there you will see the clutch which is also easy to replace! Wiring is a breeze too! Everything is plug and play. i always go through and lable all the plugs though, just for safe measures. 2 good days you can have everything pulled, cleaned ,replaced, and installed.

The main things needed to be removed so the engine and tranny will come out are:

wiring, radiator and heater core hoses, exhaust can be dropped from the cat, axles pulled, shifter linkage, speedo cable, throttle cable, clutch cable, and mounts. You might also have to remove the master cylinder so the tranny wont hit it but if done right, you can guide the tranny and engine away from the master.
              Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM.
              89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
              My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I just replaced my clutch and I really hate dealing with rusted exhaust parts and coolant if I really don't need to. I removed the hood and hung the engine from a ceiling rafter then removed the subframe and dropped the tranny out the bottom. You will need to lower the engine about 2inches to get the trans past the frame rail.

Comment

save draining the tranny and pulling axles by just pulling engine out. Very easy process...have done it a few times with no issues. I can't see dropping the tranny unless there is no other option.
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Go to Harbor Freight (I know, I know...) and pick up a 2-ton engine hoist for $250. They have a 1-ton for $200, but $50 is worth it for doubling the max load, IMO.
                    1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
                    Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
                    daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
                    A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                      save draining the tranny and pulling axles by just pulling engine out. Very easy process...have done it a few times with no issues. I can't see dropping the tranny unless there is no other option.
                      If you are doing the clutch, you could probably use some new fluid!
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

If you cant buy a engine hoist, find a tree with a thick branch and use a come-a-long. First engine I ever pulled, this was how I did it! Where there is a will, there is a way!
                        Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-31-2011, 03:51 AM.
                        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                          If you cant buy a engine hoist, find a tree with a thick branch and use a come-a-long. First engine I ever pulled, this was how I did it! Where there is a will, there is a way!
                          A two by four and two coat hangers works, a person on each side....
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                          X