Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the small sender on the ignition cylinder/lock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the small sender on the ignition cylinder/lock ?

91 Festiva (USA model) w/ B6T swap

Mine broke, just when I was getting the B6T street legit. Now I have it set to drive and no idea if it will with a cylinder I had to grab off another car.

(I lost the ignition key)

It looks like it only makes contact (corrected) when the key is in and the column is not locked
    It has a red wire with a yellow stripe, and a green wire - or it did until I dropped the cylinder while reaching into the dash to try and find a harness connector...

When I looked inside it to try and see if it was repairable it looked like the contacts were fused together anyway

I'm thinking green would be a ground, so what is that R/Y signal and were is it going?
    Last edited by Greywolf; 07-01-2019, 06:52 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

(!) It has a Rocket Chips ECM, so who knows if it even matters
    I just remembered that

It's also manual, so there's no Powertrain Module
    Last edited by Greywolf; 06-30-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagram at the back of the Haynes manual (pg 12-22) for the 1989-1993 fuel injected engine control system it only shows one RED/YEL wire and that goes from the computer to a " RED/YEL ----( NOT USED )---- YEL/BLK" symbol to the fuel pump relay, fuel injectors, canister purge solenoid, crankshaft position sensor, and idle air control valve. The fuel pump relay also has wires to GRN/RED volume air flow meter and fuel pump self-test connector, to BLK/RED starting/charging system and ECM, to GRN/YEL fuel pump. Perhaos some sort of fuel cutoff linked ot the ignition key? Hope that helps.

Thre is also a RE/YEL wire from the headlight switch to the parking lamp relay. Just though I'd mention it as it is also by the steering column. Haynes manual pg 12-31.
      Last edited by WmWatt; 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I figured it out, and the same sender unit in the blue car was bypassed already by the P/O (prior owner)

IF the Key is out, and IF the locking tooth blocks the wheel from being turned, it breaks contact inside

~ It's an anti-theft device that tells SOMETHING that the key is out and steering locked

2) It looks like it can go bad in several ways, and if its an ignition signal input it may (if its not connected) prevent a number of things

3) it hurts nothing if it is shorted together because the steering doesn't always lock if the key is out

It's nice to know about, but who cares?

DIKE it

WIRE NUT IT

~I'll mess with it later and see if I can ruin a carjackers day then, not now

Battery is charging, and I need to clean some terminals

Ignition switch is changed over & working
        Drivers door lock swapped
        Hatch Lock pending
        Last edited by Greywolf; 07-01-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X