No announcement yet.

Head Gasket Failed-Torque Specs Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket Failed-Torque Specs Anyone?

After enjoying my little car for a couple weeks (changed coolant temp sensor) and it ran so well, I noticed the temperature indicator was starting to show warmer and warmer over about a week. As it turns out, the head gasket was failing. It finally overheated and I used my tow bar to tow it home.

I've removed the cylinder head and found a bad head gasket. I see no apparent cracks or other indications of a bad aluminum head or block.

I was going to send pics, but apparently this site won't accept any picture files over 2 MB. Very sad. I would have liked to share pictures of the bad head gasket, but I'm not going to waste my time editing photos just to accommodate upload file size limitations.

I'm going to try to get the head surfaced just to be on the safe side, but if I cannot afford it, I'll just have to put it back together with the new gasket and hope for the best.

So can anyone give me the recommended torque specs for torquing the cylinder head bolts? Obviously, I don't have a manual.

I know they are not "Torque to yield" bolts because the head gasket set does not come with new ones.

Thanks, appreciate any other help or suggestions besides the torque specs.

Trace
    Last edited by tgentis1; 07-25-2019, 10:40 PM.

Step 1 35-40 ft lbs
    Step 2 56-60 ft lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Thank you for the requested information, and picture of tightening sequence. I just got the head back from the machine shop, and it was indeed warped. I'm glad I went the extra step to get it surfaced. Parts should arrive tomorrow or next day to start reassembly.

I noticed this car has a puff of blue smoke at first start up after about 2 minutes of running. It has about 170k miles on it. I don't think the smoke is caused by the rings being worn because it has virtually no ridge a the top of the cylinder walls, so I'm going to change the valve stem seals while I have the head off the car just for good measure. I may lap the valves as well at the same time, even though this engine had good compression before the head gasket failed.

Anyway, wish me luck please, and thanks for the information. I look forward to driving this sweet little car again soon.

Trace

Comment

Working...
      X