Shifter Linkage Loose and Clanky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Linkage Loose and Clanky

I have a 91 Festiva that has a sloppy shift pattern and a clanking noise coming from the shift bar where it hooks to the tranny. I crawled under there and noticed a lot of slop at the tranny side and the shifter side, and it clanks from the metal on metal contact when I jiggle the bar. Does this thing have bushings that used to be there? If so, where can I find them? Any help is appreciated. Feel free to send me an email, or just message me here if you'd like. /// joshua_okla@yahoo.com /// Thank you guys! - Josh

The search function is your friend

Comment

Don't see a search function on this website. But, thanks for the awesome answer...

Comment

Search box is in top right hand corner of screen.. Loose shifitng is a familiar topic here with many fine solutions posted.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Yeah boys, still don't see a search bar.

Comment

Okay found the search function. Was at top left, under the menu on my phone. I assume you were speaking of a computer. Anyways, fixed the clanking problem by removing old bolts on the shift bar, and replacing with new ones amd washers to make it tight. Next challenge is, when it's in gear, it wobbles left and right real far.

Comment

Did you do the tranny end? How about the shifter end?
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Shifter bushings and the shift rod bushings can be bought from the festiva store. www.thefestivastore.com
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Welcome to the forum....The most helpful car forum on the planet. We know the search function is not the most user friendly, but with patience you will find everything you ever wanted to know about Fetivas and Aspires and some other Mazda based autos.

You need one of these Shift Stabilizer Bar Bushing

$5.00

and four of these to fix your problem.
                  Shifter bushing

$1.50

Regular This bushing is for the shift rod and stabilizer bar on a Festiva and also the Aspire. There are a total of 4 on the vehicle: 2 at the transmission on the shift rod, and 2 at the shifter.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 08-01-2019, 02:48 PM.

Comment

There is also a solution that requires drilling the linkages out a little and installing shoulder bolts.

If you end up doing the bushings like state above, there is also a big rubber bushing on the anchor point up towards the transmission that usually dries out and falls apart.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                    X