Keeps blowing Meter fuse when trying to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeps blowing Meter fuse when trying to start

Everytime I turn the key to start my car, it blows the meter fuse. I replaced it and still blows the fuse. I had no problems before and I didn't add anything or mess with the wiring. I'm stumped trying to look for a short but I don't k ow what else it can be.

I'd try spraying WD-40 if you have some into the ignition key hole and working it around with the key to clean the contacts and remove any moisture. Sometimes that fixes startup problems.
    The meter fuse is connected to the ignition switch and the instrument panel but not the instrument panel light.
    Last edited by WmWatt; 05-20-2020, 10:28 PM.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

WmWatt thank you I will try that. I took apart the dash and looked in the engine bay for any possible shorts not nothing yet. I'll update when I try the wd-40 like you said

Comment

Make jumper wires to plug into the fuse location to put a test light in place of the fuse.like two leads 12 inch long 1 end 1/4 inch male spade other end alligator clips plug leads in I stead of fuse hook leads to test light.Turn on the key the light will be lit if there's a load on it.Find out everything on that fuse and disconnect them one at a time when you disconnect the shorted component the light will go out.Light still on start shaking parts of the wiring harness watch for the light to blink the blinking section has a short.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

So i know i have a short to ground somewhere. I hooked up leads from the positive lead and the test light to the positive terminal and the light turns on. I have the the the car wiring diagrams fromtfrom prodemand, so i unplugged everything on the diagram and the light still didnt go off.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Is the test light hooked up the way I said.In place of the fuse so the test lamp is now the fuse?
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Yes i did. With the volt meter its shows negative like i have my leads on wrong but i know its not. So i hooked my test light from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the fuse box for the meter fuse and it shows that the circuit is a closed circuit with the light being on. I know my Black and yellow wire runnung from the fuse box to everything on the circuit but still with unplugged switches and relays one by one the test light still shows the light bulb on.

Comment

I said take out the fuse replace the fuse with a light.I didn't say run anything from the battery to fuse box etc ....
                replace the fuse with a light bulb. 1 lead of the bulb to one terminal where the fuse plugs in,the other side of the bulb to the other terminal for the fuse.
                Last edited by ricko1966; 07-15-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X