Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 manual -- shifter falling thru floor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 manual -- shifter falling thru floor!

My AK daily-driver, a 91 manual, has a problem wherein the shifter seems to have fallen through the floor -- see photo. It's still connected, and the car drives as long as I firmly pull the shifter UP. While shifting. In 2nd/4th, I can "set it down" on what I assume is the exhaust pipe. Not good for long term.

I brought some shifter parts from a WA parts car up -- see photo with long part in vise. Examining these parts closely, it appears that there's some sort of spring-loaded circular part of sorts around the shifter at its pivot point that keeps it inside the circular portion of the "plate" that bolts into the car. BTW, this "plate" is securely in the AK car.

So it seems that this spring-loaded part has disappeared from the AK car. Thus, I will have to pull all the shifter parts out of the car and install the parts I brought up from WA.

It would be nice to see an illustrated parts breakdown of all this. I have a Haynes manual here in AK, but it lacks such detail. Can somebody post such a diagram? I figure I might as well replace the bushings while working on the AK car.

I also purchased a set of bushings from Festiva Store for only about $12 -- good deal. It's been 5 years since I had any shifter problems (i.e. sloppiness), so I can't recall exactly where they go. Another diagram would be nice.

Since I don't go under cars on jacks, I'll probably end up going to a shop where I can direct the mechanic step-by-step, so I want to understand everything to keep my bill down. Everything is expensive in Alaska "because it's Alaska!" At least there aren't any pesky tourists around this summer … very peaceful.

2020 06 03 ANC aqua -- shifter falling thru floor.JPG

2020 06 03 -- Shifter parts brought from WA.JPG

2020 06 03 -- Shifter parts brought from WA - close-up.JPG

2020 06 03 -- Shifter bushings bought from Festiva Store.JPG
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-04-2020, 12:02 AM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Sorry no photos but this has been discussed on here before. Have you tried a search on "shifter"?
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Before the fordfestiva website was updated I had loaded several photos of the shifter breakdown showing all the parts. I will try to find those photos and upload them asap. I may still have some bushings that go on the bottom and top of the shifter too... I will check.

I found the photos and uploaded them to http://festivacentral.blogspot.com/ You can see them there.
      I will check to see if I still have any of the white nylon bushings that go on the top and bottom of the shifter and update here when I find out what I have.

My new parts inventory is getting very low. I have two of the bushing that go on the bottom of the shifter and only 1 dust cover that goes on the bottom.
      Also only have three of the shifter bushings.
      Last edited by 1990new; 06-06-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

WmWatt,

Yes, I did search, but nothing useful came up.

1990New,

Awesome info! It scares me how close I must be on some members of my fleet to having to park them because of lack of a single part which is no longer available.

I did notice a rubber boot of sorts on the bottom of the parts I brought up from Seattle is ripped. I'll take a closer look in the morning if the bugs will so permit -- we're in the middle of our few-week mosquito season here.

I think what I'm going to have to do is rebuilt the Seattle parts and then go to a shop with a lift and just swap in the "new" parts as a single assembly.

Both,

Are we just dead in the water on more of these parts? I've got at least a half-dozen Festies that are driveable or could be, in Seattle, Anchorage, and one that moves around among job sites in the East (currently in Pittsburgh). Are nylon parts 3D-printable? What about rubber boots? I've recently bought some front suspension parts (metal and rubber) from Kia dealers in WA and OH that work -- I tell them I'm driving a 2002 Rio even though I wouldn't recognize one if it ran me over. I'll look up Kia here in Anchorage.

Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-05-2020, 06:56 AM.
        88L black, dailydriver
        4 88/89 disassembled
        91L green
        91GL aqua pwrsteer
        92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I special-ordered 3 candidate parts from Kia today. Probably a long shot, but I'm only risking $32. ETA = 7-10 business days. No "dust cover" appeared in the Kia diagram.

QUESTION: How do I "open up" what I brought up from Seattle so I can see the inner parts that surround the pivot "ball" on the shift lever?
          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-05-2020, 04:53 PM.
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

The spring that holds down the top nylon ball seat snaps into a lip at the top of the housing. You can use a screwdriver or I used a pair of sharp point vice grips to grab it and snap it out. Then you will be able to pull everything out. The bottom ball seat (KKY0146086 SEAT-BALL) is split and the top one (which I dont have any of) is not. If you want one of the bottom seats that I have and the boot, I can mail them to you for $10 total including shipping. I checked fourgreen.com and when I search for those part numbers it comes back as invalid or inactive product. I wish they would leave the part number in their inventory and just say it is inactive or not available.
            You can find the seat-ball alone selling for $7.42 (if they really have it) at https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/...ky0146086.html

https://www.kiapartsnow.com/genuine/...ky0146090.html (The boot "dust cover" sells for $3.60 if they have it).

If you already ordered the seat-ball nylon parts (top and bottom) and just want the boot, I will mail it to you for $6.

Supposed to be a special grease to use when you put back together but I just used a little red molly wheel bearing grease on mine. To put the spring back in you just have to twist it a little to make it smaller a the top so you can push it back under the lip. To put the boot on you have to stretch it a bit and work it over the bottom T one side at a time.

Is the rubber that holds the housing in the center of the assembly still good? That is usually the part that rots out and causes the shifer to fall out. If this has happened to you there are post here about how people use some type of flexible hardening compound that will set up to hold it back in place.

This is a great writeup on this forum which probably tells you more that you would ever want to know about this subject:
            Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
            Last edited by 1990new; 06-06-2020, 12:33 PM.

Comment

1990new,

Ever more awesome!

The 1-46086 and 1-46090 parts you suggest getting from KiaPartsNow (apparently items 11 and 12, respectively in their diagrams) are 2 of the 3 parts I ordered yesterday from Kia Anchorage. The third part I ordered is item 14 -- prob not needed, but $14 is cheap insurance.

I ordered the 1-46062 (qty 2 and not p/n 45052 which is not legal # per Kia Anchorage) and 2-46081 from Kia Anchorage today.

The Mazda dealer's parts department here is closed today due to COVID-19 (even though the whole state has had only ten deaths), so I'll get with them on Monday.

I'll open up the Seattle assembly later today -- sunset's not until 11:30pm, so still plenty of outdoor working hours remaining! After I get the thing open and have "built" it in my head, I'll figure out what I might need from you.

I'm hoping I dodged a bullet on this so I can get enough shifter parts for every one of my long-term keeper Festies (probably about six of them, mostly LXs I eventually plan to upgrade to FI) so as not to get stung down the road on shifters.

I haven't seen BraveKozak post in a while; is he still on here?
              Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM.
              88L black, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I hear from bravekozak occasionally but since the facebook site came online most of the people who used to post here are now posting there. I don't have a facebook account and I haven't posted as much here as I used to either. However, I do occasionally look at the facebook posts using my wife's login there.

I notice a lot of nonmembers viewing here that I suspect are facebook viewers who just don't bother to sign up and post here because things are so much more interactive and faster there. Hopefully this site will continue to be available for a long time to come.

I'm always happy to offer help to fellow Festiva fanatics when I can....good luck with getting shifter assembly working good again.
                Last edited by 1990new; 06-06-2020, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Mazda parts ordered; should arrive (both Kia and Mazda parts coming from LA) in another week or 10 days.

The spring came out as advertised:

100_6604.JPG

That's clever how they split the lower bushing to it clears the ball.

I can't get these two parts to fully separate:

100_6605.JPG
                  100_6607.JPG

One side separates, but not the other. I don't want to force anything. Any suggestions? Do I really need to separate them?

1990new, It looks like the 4 parts (5 pcs) I ordered from Kia includes the boot, so I shouldn't need one from you, right?
                  Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-09-2020, 12:02 AM.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

If you got the boot from Kia, you don't need mine.... From what I understand many people have not bothered replacing the boot at all because you have the take the shifter assembly out from the top to replace it....but I would want mine replaced. They keep water and dirt out of the bottom side of the shifter assembly.
                    Be sure you put the boot on the shifter before you put int back in from the top when you reassemble it.

Comment

I'll replace the boot and the inside white (nylon?) bushings.

How to I separate the two parts shown in previous photo?
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

I have never had a shifter assembly that came apart like that... I suppose there is not need to take it apart completely if you can get it lined up correctly and pack it with a flexible hardening compound.

I just checked Fourgreen.com and looked up KKY0146100C LEVER ASSY-CHANGE - $74.1

I ordered one of these for someone a few years ago when I did a large group order for the forum. The price then was 74.10 It now shows it as 60.64 and they indicated they have it but the picture show on the web page is not correct.
                        This part number is for the entire shifter assembly. Shipped via Fedex to me (and now they add on SC sales tax) would be 131.61. I put in an Anchorage AK shipping address and it show the same shipping cost but no sales tax (About $126 total).
                        Last edited by 1990new; 06-11-2020, 09:45 AM.

Comment

$126 to my door and no hassle -- that would be a good deal.

I've always wanted to order a bunch of stuff from Fourgreen, but as I recall everything was in Russian?

Maybe I should order one right now just in case my piecemeal approach fails.

Yes, we have this novel idea in Alaska that the posted price is the price you should pay. They nail us on property taxes instead, but since housing is so cheap here (compared to Seattle, anyway), that suits me fine. A few municipalities have tiny local taxes, but Anchorage (still) has none.
                          88L black, dailydriver
                          4 88/89 disassembled
                          91L green
                          91GL aqua pwrsteer
                          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Fourgreen has a support email address and is very helpful. Not Russian. American company which imports car parts from South Korea. You could try their website.
                            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

If you do sign up for a Fourgreen.com account and enter an order, put "DISCPROMO10" in the discount code field and a discount of 10% will be deducted from your order.
                              Then when you are checking out enter Fordfestiva.com in the Heard about us field.

Always use the Search on the left side of the screen when searching by description.. and you will always select "Hyundai/Kia" in the top drop down box and In the next box select "Pride"
                              The descriptions of part are odd sometimes and the parts that show up may not be what you had in mind so you may have to keep guessing as to how they describe the part. "You have to eanter at lest 3 characters in the description field to get it to search).
                              The second drop down box keeps reverting to "H(CLICK HEV)" after every search, so be sure to scroll down and select "Pride" every time you do a new search.

I would send them a message first to make sure they really have the shifter assembly in stock before you order it. Also ask about the picture that show up for the shifter assembly and let them know it is wrong. If they don't have something in stock and cannot get it, they will take your money and then refund it later. But in the meantime they send you everything else they do have and if you have ordered several parts to keep the shipping cost per part lower, you could be disappointed when you pay a large amount for shipping and end up not getting the main part that your really created the order for.

Comment

Working...
                              X