Refreshing the engine from Tootsie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refreshing the engine from Tootsie

I am refreshing the engine and transmission that I took out of Tootsie in preparation for installing them in Sam's car that has the clutch fork pop out.

I am taking lots of picture as I complete the cleanup and reassembly.

Here is a list of new part I will be using:

Clutch, pressuer plate and clutch release bearing
    Pilot bearing
    Rear crank seal
    Front crank seal
    Cam shaft seal
    Valve cover gasket and grommets
    New PVC grommet and valve
    Timing Belt
    Distributor O ring
    Rear transmission support
    Left and right transmission axle seals
    New fuel filter isolator anchors
    New Spark Plugs
    New transmission support beam bushing front and rear.
    Air Conditioner Belt
    New Rebuilt Steering rack and new outer joints as well
    Replaced the left CV axle with a good used one that I has stashed because the left one came apart when I pulled it out
    New curved bypass to head water hose
    New Brake Pedal Cover
    New Left Rear Axle Bearings, Seal and Axle Nut

Will post some pictures later

I was very happy to see that beautiful golden colored head top when I pulled the valve cover off. I changed the oil in that engine every 3,000 miles after I installed in in Tootsie back in 2008 and it really shows inside the engine. I believe the lady I sold it to was pretty diligent about changing the oil during the 3 year that she drove it after I sold it to her as well.

I bought this engine new in 2008 and it's a strange combo.. It has the large nose crank but the head has an opening for a manual fuel pump and the valves are not hydraulic.

I just checked my notes and discovered that at this point this engine has 145,058 files on it. The picture says something about how important those regular oil changes are for the life of an engine.

The transmission is still in great condition as well.
    Tootsie's Head 1.JPG

Removed the rear crank seal today. It is different to any I have ever seen before in a Festiva Engine.
    This was one of the last b3 engines sold by Festivamotorsport. I bought it in 2008. As stated before it has the big nose crank but adjustable valves in the head. And now the rear oil seal retainer is different. It has its own little gasket on the bottom for the oil pan. I will need to find one of these gaskets to get the thing back together.
    Here are pictures... Anyone see one like this on a B3 engine before? Actually I like it better than the one that is a half circle and has the oil pan studs in the bottom.
    B3 Rear Oil Seal (1).JPG B3 Rear Oil Seal (6).JPG B3 Rear Oil Seal (18).JPG B3 Rear Oil Seal (15).JPG

Got the new front and rear crank seals installed and also the new timing belt. Ready to replace the pulley, the flywheel and the the new clutch tomorrow.
    More strange things I found out about this engine today. The crankshaft in front is the larger diameter one but looks to be shorter than normal. Notice in the photos that the end of the shaft only goes about 1/4 inch into the pulley. The square key is longer though and goes a little farther into the pulley key slot. There was not wallowing of the crank or the pulley key slot though so I guess it is working fine. I will be sure to use red thread lock and tighten to specs to make sure it holds the pulley with wallowing the keyway on the crank.

Also there is no gaket on the oil pany only black RTV.... but it hasn't leaked anywhere that I can see. I did use a gasket on the rear crank seal holder and also the bottom part of the half moon seal that is for the Miata... plus lots of RTV as well... so it should not leak. Really the only leaks that appear since the engine was installed in Tootsie were at the valve cover and the distributor. I am putting in a new valve cover gasket and a new distributor O ring so I expect to see no leaks anywhere for a long time after this engine goes back into service in Sam's Festiva. Tootsie Crankshaft end (4).JPG Tootsie Crankshaft end (1).JPG Tootsie Crankshaft end (3).JPG Tootsie Crankshaft end (2).JPG
    Last edited by 1990new; 12-07-2020, 09:50 AM.

Here are some more pictures of the Transmission before and after cleanup

I just check my notes and realized that this transmission has 318,365 files on it and it is still working great.

Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (2).JPG Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (3).JPG Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (22).JPG Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (19).JPG Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (20).JPG Tootsie Transmission Cleanup (18).JPG
    Last edited by 1990new; 12-07-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Here are pictured after install plus pictures of the mangled clutch release bearing and old transmission (the one that is for sale in another post).
      202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (8).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (4).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (9).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (10).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (12).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (13).JPG Sams old engine and Transmission (5).JPG 202012 Sams Festiva Engine Install (11).JPG Sams old engine and Transmission (6).JPG

I will add pictures later... just wanted to post that the job is finished. Got the engine and transmission in and it runs great...everything went even better than I had hoped for.
      I turn 76 tomorrow and I call this my last major festiva rebuild project. I know that Sam will have a great running Festiva for years to come.

Added 1/06/2020
      Finished with the install on Sams Car Today: Today I got the steering rack centered correctly, Replace dthe leaft rear wheel bearing and put a new clutch pedal cover on.

Only thing left is to put the grille back on... as soon as I remember where we put the grille clips.

Sam is coming to pick it up tomorrow and it will finally be out of my driveway.

I separated the transmission from the engine that I pulled out and discovered that the problem was a disintegrated clutch release bearing (it was put in two years ago).
      The plastic was pretty much melted and the two metal tabs that were imbedded in the plastic were lying in the bottom of the bell housing. The transmission and clutch still appear to be in great shape.
      Now I have a good good running engine and 5 speed transmission that needs to find a new owner.
      Last edited by 1990new; 12-08-2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Sam reports that he is amazed at the pep of his "new" engine. I'm always happy to hear that my work was good and is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X