Fusible link upgrade Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusible link upgrade Help

I have an '88 and the fusible links and the box itself melted. I went to my local auto parts store and asked about it since i have never done this sort of thing before and they recommended that I upgrade to a actual fuse box instead. Well now i have an issue with the wire that was the "Main" on the fusible links always blowing the fuse when i connect the battery. I have a 30 amp fuse in it and it still blows immediately.

Has anyone had any experience upgrading from the fusible links to actual modern fuses. Im using ATM but might have to upgrade to MAXI it seems.

Thanks

duplicate post removed

Comment

Duplicate post removed
      Last edited by 1990new; 06-04-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Duplicate post removed
        Last edited by 1990new; 06-04-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate post but I was having trouble getting the post update function to work right.

The fact that the box melted is an indicator that you power is going direct to ground somewhere and the fact that the 30 amp fuse blows immediately means that you still have the ground short.

You must find that ground short and fix it before you end up having to replace all of your wiring.

Here is a good basic you tube video that explains how to find ground shorts.
          In this video I am going to show you how anyone can easily diagnose and find a short circuit or wire in their car. You more than likely have a short circuit ...

Here is a link to a post in this forum that will tell you a lot about the grounding issues. One point it makes clear is that the main fuse carries live power to parts of your car as soon as the batter is connected so it the fuse blows as soon as you connect the batter without the switch on. the short is before the switch.
          If this is the case with you, the first thing to look for is a short in the white wire that goes from the main fuse to the alternator. Lots of other good hints in that thread. Also do a search on "ground" in the forum to find lots more.

https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...lown-main-fuse
          Last edited by 1990new; 06-04-2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

i have a 1989 that battery went dead...i charged it and started the car, ran it for over an hour to replentish the battery from starting it. shut it off next day battery was dead. went bought a new battery and the 25 amp fusible link next to the battery blew. i wired in a 25 amp fuse holder and fuse to where the fusible link was (because parts store didnt have a replacement)and it still blows instantly when i connect the battery. i pulled every fuse out of the fuse box and the key is off and it still blows the fuse instantly. there are three fusible links on the module there, with 6 wire spades. each wire fuse connects to a pair of connectors.. i disconnected one side of each fuse wire. and tested with a meter to ground, one side of the three pairs showed continuity to ground and the other side didnt. i think there should be no continuity to ground on a fuse and thats why the 25 amp is blowing but i dont know why the other smaller fuses arent if they are connected to ground. anyways does somebody have a decent wiring diaghram they can send me so i can trace from the battery to the blown fuse link and further? anybody have same problem?...what was shorted?

Comment

Have you tried a search of this site for wiring diagrams? I've seen them posted. The search box is in the top right of the screen. There are also some in the back of the Haynes manual. Also a search of the Interent might show some. Good luck.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Working...
              X