blown main fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown main fuse

Yesterday (Christmas) I was driving and the car just shut off. Checked the middle fuseable link and the wire was burnt on both ends above the connecters. Replaced it with a green 40 amp fuse. Car started right up and everything was working fine. Drove to my son's house and back later that night. Tonight went to meet my other son and his wife for dinner and on the way home same thing happened, car shut off. All I had was head lights. Pulled out the fuse I put in yesterday and I think it was blowed. ( Hard to tell it was dark). I didn't have any more 40 amp fuses so I plugged in a 30 and that blew as soon as I put it in. Any one know why this would be happening? Where should I start looking? (I'm guessing I have a short somewhere)

Rich

First go to a junk yard and get as many main fuses as you can find. You definitely don't want to pay full price for any more of them while finding the short. I always pull Festiva fusible links and long legged fuses from other cars that use them.
    The main fuse goes to your alternator and to your ignition switch.
    Have your alternator tested.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-26-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I don't even know where to begin looking for a short. if there was something wrong with the alternator wouldn't the alternator light be on? I'm not questioning your knowledge just want to try to understand what's going on with this car.

Comment

If no fuses in the fuse block are burned out, I suspect the short to be between it and the main fuse link. The problem may be in your IC Regulator or perhaps the rotor field coil. Remove the alternator and take it in for a bench test.

Follow the white wire. Is the insulation damaged? Is it touching the body or engine block anywhere?

If the problem only occurs when it's running, then that is why I believe it's your alternator that is the problem.

Does your charging light come on when you turn the key to start the engine?
        Maybe the main fuse blows just before the charging light comes on.

The charging indicator is a simple on/off warning lamp. It lights if the engine is running and the charging system is undercharging.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-26-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Thread 698

Thread 4236

Thread 12312

Thread 13315

Thread 53087
          Last edited by bravekozak; 12-26-2014, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the treads. it could be the alternator. I've had the car since 97, and I don't remember replacing it. You mentioned in your post about the fuses in the fuse block. You mean the one under the hood and not the one under the dash, right? You also mention a white wire do you mean the Alternator wire? I will check to make sure my battery is secure and not moving around. As far as I can remember I think my charging light comes on when I turn the key. I think I have a fuseable link and some other 40 amp fuses somewhere. just to be sure 40 in the middle and 2 30 amps on either side when replcing the fuseable links, correct?

Comment

Correct on the 40 in the middle and 30 on both sides. In addition, there is a 10 amp engine fuse under the drivers side dash. If it is blown, your car will not run.
              "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
              “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

thanks, didn't know about the 10 amp fuse under the dash. I'll check it, but i know the main fuse (the one in the middle) blew last night. I'm going to check the thick white wire on the fuse block to see if any of the insulation is worn.

Comment

check the white wire coming from the fuse block and didn,t see any worn insulation. cleaned the contacts for the main fuse the best i could.Checked the 10 amp fuse under the dash. Looked good. installed a new 40 amp (green) fuse and as soon as i did it blew. One thing I notice about the new fuse I installed is that it says on the package 40 amp FLF not 40 amp PAL. I remember a tread somewhere that someone said use PAL. Is there a difference?

Comment

The FLF is a more modern type of a the common festiva fusible link. The PAL is a fuse I think. Not too much of a difference and both are rated for 40 amps. That would take a serious current draw to blow it. Unplug your alternator and crank your engine.
                    Last edited by dalebwilson; 12-27-2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thats a lucky main fuse. get it?
                      92 GL, 98k
                      77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Originally posted by dalebwilson View Post
                        The FLF is a more modern type of a the common festiva fusible link. The PAL is a fuse I think. Not too much of a difference and both are rated for 40 amps. That would take a serious current draw to blow it. Unplug your alternator and crank your engine.
                        Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm thinking it could be the alternator. I 've had the car for 17 years and I don't remember changing it. Could an alternator last that long?

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                          Thats a lucky main fuse. get it?
                          Yeah I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by rmp2711 View Post
                            Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I'm thinking it could be the alternator. I 've had the car for 17 years and I don't remember changing it. Could an alternator last that long?
                            Yes....I have seen alternators last that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was thinking how could it be the alternator when the i put a new fuse in today, and it blew before I had a chance to turn the key to try to start the car?

Comment

Working...
                              X