No announcement yet.

Trailer wheel as a spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked with 2 agents, no problem with trailer wheels, you may have a problem with your adapters.He even went further and checked higher up, again no problem. The pictures I posted at least some of them were pics of wheel adapters that had come apart.aluminum still bolted to the car and aluminum still bolted to the wheel. There is all kinds of info about the safety of wheel adapters out there, I even put some of it up for you to read on my last post.I personally have run wheel adapters on a few of my cars with no bad cosequences I have them on my trailer now to widen it up, I have some for the festiva 4on 114.3 car for running my winter tires. But wheel adapters are not entirely safe and wont even pass inspection in some states I snapshoted some in case you want to read them. Everything I said and thought about using trailer wheels was/is based on whether or not they bolt up correctly, if a trailer wheel will not bolt up correctly, does anyone know where to get dual drilled rear drums.Dont beat on me about the question. I have a possible use for some dual drilled rear aspire drums, if I switch back to festy front brakes so my front and rear wheels match.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-15-2021, 11:01 AM.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

So anyway, I contacted an American wheel manufacturer, questioned customer service, who put me on hold aand got one of the engineers to talk to me.So between insurance and a wheel engineer, I'm good with a 12" 4x100mm wheel. Problem solved.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Thanks to both for posting the results of your experience and research.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Screenshot_2021-10-16_013737.jpg

Comment

Screenshot_2021-10-16_013737.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-16_014221.jpg

Comment

3 of those 4 pics, you can clearly see the aluminum from the adapter is still bolted to the hub but the aluminum itself has given up.I'm not saying adapters are always dangerous in every situation etc. But they do offer another point to fail.I've never had cancer, or aids, or covid , that doesnt mean those ailments don' t happen. By luck not to me. Same with wheel adapters Ive never had a failure, that doesnt mean they never fail. Back to my trailer wheel scenerio.I feel just fine using a 12 inch trailer wheel to limp home at low speed if I ever get a flat while driving. I have learned a lot though, there are many styles, qualities, materials and manufacturers of wheel adapters, and trailer wheels.Heck I even learned what insurance companies consider inappropriate, its scary how vague their criteria is.
              Last edited by ricko1966; 10-16-2021, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X