Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ricko1966
    replied
    3 of those 4 pics, you can clearly see the aluminum from the adapter is still bolted to the hub but the aluminum itself has given up.I'm not saying adapters are always dangerous in every situation etc. But they do offer another point to fail.I've never had cancer, or aids, or covid , that doesnt mean those ailments don' t happen. By luck not to me. Same with wheel adapters Ive never had a failure, that doesnt mean they never fail. Back to my trailer wheel scenerio.I feel just fine using a 12 inch trailer wheel to limp home at low speed if I ever get a flat while driving. I have learned a lot though, there are many styles, qualities, materials and manufacturers of wheel adapters, and trailer wheels.Heck I even learned what insurance companies consider inappropriate, its scary how vague their criteria is.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-16-2021, 01:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Screenshot_2021-10-16_013737.jpg Screenshot_2021-10-16_014221.jpg

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Screenshot_2021-10-16_013737.jpg

Leave a comment:

• WmWatt
    replied
    Thanks to both for posting the results of your experience and research.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    So anyway, I contacted an American wheel manufacturer, questioned customer service, who put me on hold aand got one of the engineers to talk to me.So between insurance and a wheel engineer, I'm good with a 12" 4x100mm wheel. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    I checked with 2 agents, no problem with trailer wheels, you may have a problem with your adapters.He even went further and checked higher up, again no problem. The pictures I posted at least some of them were pics of wheel adapters that had come apart.aluminum still bolted to the car and aluminum still bolted to the wheel. There is all kinds of info about the safety of wheel adapters out there, I even put some of it up for you to read on my last post.I personally have run wheel adapters on a few of my cars with no bad cosequences I have them on my trailer now to widen it up, I have some for the festiva 4on 114.3 car for running my winter tires. But wheel adapters are not entirely safe and wont even pass inspection in some states I snapshoted some in case you want to read them. Everything I said and thought about using trailer wheels was/is based on whether or not they bolt up correctly, if a trailer wheel will not bolt up correctly, does anyone know where to get dual drilled rear drums.Dont beat on me about the question. I have a possible use for some dual drilled rear aspire drums, if I switch back to festy front brakes so my front and rear wheels match.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-15-2021, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theastronaut
    replied
    Your pics are too small to read but it looks like pics of damaged spacers. Spacers are only as dangerous as the person that installed them, but if you're trying to put 4x4" wheels on 4x100 hubs then you probably shouldn't be trusted installing spacers either.

I've had two different sets of spacers on my Festiva, have driven across country twice on them, done 200 miles on a race track on spacers, tons of autocross events on spacers (cornering hard enough to lift the rear wheel)... they're perfectly safe when sized and installed correctly. I've also had them on two different trucks with zero problems.

Call your insurance company and ask if you're covered if you're using trailer tires on wheels with the wrong lug pattern...

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Ill take my chances with a steel trailer wheel that bolts to my drum
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Ill take my chances with a steel trailer wheel that bolts to my drum. I personally know hypermilers that run trailer tires daily, not me.Its been explained to me they are like bias ply tires , dont corner as goid but brake well and get better gas milage, IDK. I was just looking for a way to get 10 miles if I should get a flat. I think my odds are just as good with a trailer wheel especially after seeing the adapter failures.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-14-2021, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    I don't see how,please explain.You know some people think wheel adapters are dangerous. I'm just trying to find a 12inch wheel that bolts to 4on100. If a trailer wheel bolts up great if not I'll keep hunting.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    I don't see how,please explain.

Leave a comment:

• theastronaut
    replied
    Sounds like a good way to die or kill someone else, but ok.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    4on4 will bolt up to 4 on 100. I would switch to festy brakes,I agree they are plenty adequate,and I hate my Rio/Aspire brakes. But if I put festy rear brakes on then I have to get festy fronts or carry 2 spares or an adapter etc. I'm just going to have to buy a trailer wheel and try it.

Leave a comment:

• theastronaut
    replied
    A trailer wheel is 4x4" pattern so it would also need an adapter...

Or convert back to festiva brakes and use a normal spare. Festiva brakes are great unless you're towing or racing.

Leave a comment:

• ricko1966
    replied
    Just seems less complicated if I get a flat to bolt a trailer wheel,with a full size festy tire on it and drive home or somewhere to get a new tire. I did think of a festy wheel and adapter but didn't see an advantage to bolting on an adapter and then bolting a wheel to the adapter,if I could just bolt a 12 inch wheel to the drum.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X