No Spark Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark Issue

1992 original motor and auto trans. Bought this car and parked it within a week due to horrible crank seal leak. In that time it stalled out 4-6 times but always restarted and ran fine, I suspected a no spark/electrical issue. During a motor and trans pull I replaced the fuel filter, it was beyond bad, but never solved this issue. Here's where I'm stumped, it will crank all day and never start until I unplug the VAF connector but won't run for more than 10 seconds. There's NO spark, unless that connector is unplugged. I have tools necessary to do many tests and am more than willing to throw parts at it but I would prefer a more scientific approach to this. Help me keep this beauty on the road!

On these cars the VAF door has to pivot open before the electric fuel pump comes on. I don't have the fuel injected model but have read that you can hear the electric fuel pump come on. People have reported fixing starting problems by cleaning the pivot inside the VAF.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

duplicate post deleted
      Last edited by 1990new; 04-18-2022, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Welcome new member....
        If you don't have a Festiva Vacuum and Electrical Troubleshooting Manual, you need to get one.
        Here is a great deal for one on ebay only $7 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18483894453...VsAAOSw7MVgn~Z q

The VAF connector has to be in place to send signals to the ECU to control all multiple functions relating to the smoothing running of the engine. Sounds like you either have a faulty VAF (or connector wires out of whack) ECU's rarely fail but that is a possibility also. And could be broken/frayed/shorted wires somewhere. The manual will help you find your problem.

Here is a link to one of many posts you will find on the forum relating to you problem.
        ​​​​​​​https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...ng-but-doesn-t

Comment

Working...
        X