Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control arm replacement, help please?? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control arm replacement, help please?? (pics)

I'm currently replacing my passenger side CV axle, both control arms and tie rods. The problem is the bolt (as can be seen on the pics), that was originally cut off during a previous control arm replacement by the PO, but now the nut on the new bolt has rotten off again and is impossible to take off, hence now I need to cut this bolt off too...

I found the remainder of the original bolt inside of the frame (2nd pic).

Does anyone has any part number or something for it? Where can I get this bolt or something good as a replacement? And no, JY isn't really an option right now, winter's no good for that...
    Denis

1993 Ford Festiva XL ~ daily driver, 173000km ~ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2880751
    1991 BMW 318is ~ project car, 178000km ~ page not made yet

SAE Grade 8 or metric Class 10.9. Any hardware store (NOT Lowe Depot, they're crap) should be able to help you.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

it's an M10x1.25 IIRC and nothing LESS than a grade 8 or metric equivilant (i was able to find the metric grade 12 from Fastenall)
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The stock fastener is a Class 10.9 (about a Grade 8)
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Gonna need a big as* washer behind the nut too!
          Better if you can get a flared nut but will be hard to find!
          Had some idiot sometime ago decided he was going to use Stainless steel bolts and nuts for this!
          Don't know if he's still alive, but I do wonder.

FB71,
          So Lowes/Depote Grade 8 and class 10 fasteners are not good stuff?
          I've used them for other less critical applications but never something as critical as this!
          Data or personnal experience?
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Had the same problem...no PO...was able to put a nut up thru the access hole without a problem...I used a a sereated flange nut to to prevent the nut from slipping....Every thing above about the grade of bolts is extremely important...Autozone (yes I went their once) has the 10.9 nut flange nuts.
            Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
            The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Awesome, thx a lot for quick replies! Going to buy 2 bolts now, I decided to use the flange nuts as jglutz did.
              Denis

1993 Ford Festiva XL ~ daily driver, 173000km ~ http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2880751

Comment

Canadian Tire carries a selection of bolts. When I replaced all the brake lines I took a bolt in and the clerk at the auto pats desk found a match. I was able to replace all the rusted bolts holding the brake-and-fuell line brackets to the body for pennies.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I dunno about you, but I went to Canadian Tire, NAPA, Rona, Reno Depot, Car Quest and none had grade 10.9 of the right length, only 8.8 or 10.9 no longer than 40mm. So I went to a small garage on my street, and found in their old bolt bucket one 10.9 of the right length, so I'll use it for 1 side. Alas, there's 2 control arms on Festivas, so I ordered my 2nd bolt and 2 nuts from Demers, which I'll have early next week. For now the only bolt I got will be held by grade 10 flange nut... Is it me or does Quebec lack a lot? I can never find stuff for Festivas here and everyone looks at you like you're crazy as soon as you pronounce the first 3 letter: "Ford Fes..."
                  Denis

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241
                    FB71,
                    So Lowes/Depote Grade 8 and class 10 fasteners are not good stuff?
                    I've used them for other less critical applications but never something as critical as this!
                    Data or personnal experience?
                    They're good enough, if the Lowes Depot near you has them. They have three tiers of stores, A, B and C.

most Home Depot B and and all C stores do not carry a good selection of high grade fasteners. You need to find an A store.

That's what I meant by those stores being crap. I've always had much more affinity for my local hardware store.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

^^Well said...I go to Home Depot & Lowes...never expect anything above average.

Buy alot of metric and automotive fasteners at my local ACE hardware...our locals...have tons of Hillman drawers with 10.9 metric and most in stainless....recently bought some M8 x 1.25mm SS manifold studs....Torx ends....8 of them...about $10.
                      Joe Lutz

Comment

It's good to have a nice hardware store to go to!

I once used chewing gum on my finger to hold a replacement nut on the end of the relacement pivot bolt! That access hole is small.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^^ I tried that once...but the gum tasted funny afterwards
                          Joe Lutz

Comment

I was quoted $980 bucks to replace both lower arms...
                            new ones off ebay for $70 a set shipped.
                            about an hour to change them and when I was done the alighnment shop said it was perfect so no need to alingn.
                            not alot of rust on mine but I can see what you are going through.

Comment

Working...
                            X