No announcement yet.

need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is running lean bud. Get some carb cleaner and spray around injectors any gasket on the intake the pipe to air box and air box.. listen to any changes in the rpm if it smooths out then u got air leaking into the system and it is fubaring every thing up.. The car prolly does think the o2 sensor is messed up b/c if air is leaking in and it can't correct it then it prolly thinks the o2 is fried...

Comment

o....and there shouldnt be any rust in it. i bought it 5000 miles ago and have been driving it daily not only with premium gas (dont use a lot so y not) but also injector cleaner bottle every fill up. the red plugs was a shock to me too?!?!? i dont know what would turn a plug red other than paint...lol. il try the carb cleaner trick...thanks again!
      90 L FI..second B3
      90 L Parts car
      Jay

Comment

the red color is more then likely oil burning on the ceramic in a lean condition... the o2 sensor, vaf, air leak, or TB air bleed screw and controll your mixture I am sure there are a few more things however i would check for an air leak...

Comment

well...i tried the carb cleaner...didnt do anything. i did a fuel pressure check and it was good acording to my manual. i hate this. MY FESTY IS MY BABY!!!!! i cant go anywhere. i guess im goin to take it in to get it looked at, and prolly recieve a $500 bill. this sucks!
          90 L FI..second B3
          90 L Parts car
          Jay

Comment

you don't by chance run Exxon gas, do you? They use a polymer additive (replaces lead) that leaves a red powdery film on the exhaust valves and seats. If those cylinders are going lean, the plugs will show the red powder-film. If only two plugs are showing signs of being lean, then I would guess either an intake manifold leak (too much air) or clogged injectors (not enough fuel). I'd also pull the fuel pump out of the tank and check the sump filter. It kinda looks like a sock sticking out of the bottom of the pump. Fuel from "bargain" gas stations usually clog those up with silt and rusty debris from inside their old inground tanks.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

ahh...i was afraid of that. i dont run exon regularly so im guessing i may have an air leak in the intake like you said. i have heard the fuel pump make a weird buzzing sound that i could feel in my feet as well. that was about a month ago tho. il have to check it out...how hard is it do drop the tank? the intake gasket looks like it would be anoying to replace but i will do what i have to to get my festy back on the road. thanks everyone for the advise and help...wish me luck!
              90 L FI..second B3
              90 L Parts car
              Jay

Comment

woohoo and Jim says I am on the right track again... I took his brain and made a copy of it in burger king... was payback for smokeing me out the whole way LMAO

Comment

well..i have decided to tear down my motor and replace a few things. im goin to do the timing belt (just so i dont have to later on and bc the car has 251,000 miles on it and i dont know if/when it was replaced) and fix a few of my oil and water leaks (valve cover gasket and bottom/side/top of radiator). ok...how would i check if my injectors are good or bad? or is it a visual check? and as to the red plugs...its not a film or what not...i couldnt scrape it off with a screwdriver?!?!
                  90 L FI..second B3
                  90 L Parts car
                  Jay

Comment

noid light will tell u if they r working a fuel preasure test kit can be used to professionaly clean them

Comment

ok.....if you have cept up with this post ya might have noticed i got a little fustrated in not knowing what the hell was wrong with my festy. i was even planing on rebuilding the motor. lol. well i found out what was wrong after having it parked for nearly 2 weeks now. I feel so dumb! it was out of gas. i miscalculated my mileage after a long highway trip. next step....get that damn gas guage fixed, which is my question.....where can you order or get a fuel sending unit for a festy. Autozone said they could not order it and a local place here in town (Bobs auto) said its showing up as discontinued. i know i can get one somewhere but the question is where?
                      90 L FI..second B3
                      90 L Parts car
                      Jay

Comment

glad to hear you found the problem! As for the sending unit, junkyard is your best bet. To my knowledge, they are no longer available new from anywhere. And the red film... its burned into the metal of the plug, you won't be able to scrape it off. Just replace the plugs. Don't use Champion, not any good in these cars. Better off with Autolite, Motorcraft or NGK.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

bosch plat 4's in mine made a good deal of diff!

Comment

thanks for all the help here guys. i realy learned a lot about my festy during this fieasco. i realy want to do the aspire brake swap but i need to know a little bit more first. i know you have to change the wheels... ? is what sizes will fit and still leave clearance for my tires in the wheel well. anyone know where i can get them and a set of shocks/struts for front and back? and as far as the fuel sending unit goes...you can "order" one...it comes on a new fuel pump when you buy it.
                            90 L FI..second B3
                            90 L Parts car
                            Jay

Comment

Working...
                            X