Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation under load... PROBLEM SOLVED

Hello all,

A problem has just reared its ugly head. When driving up a fairly long hill the car will hesitate or miss momentarily. Same thing happens when the revs hit about 4000 under hard acceleration. The engine light doesn't come on.

I can rev it up with no load (sitting in the garage) and there is no miss that I can hear.

I've switched out the plug wires with no apparent effect. Other than this the engine runs well, revs freely and starts up just fine.

It feels more like its starving for fuel so I'm going to switch out the fuel filter tomorrow and see if that helps.

Here's a few more details

- '88 fuel injected B6 with the correct ECU and distributor with approximately 275,000km (165,000 miles)
    - air filter recently cleaned (K&N)
    - no vacuum leaks (checked thoroughly when I did the swap back in September)

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

i would for sure do the fuel filter first if it's been a while since it's been changed.dist. cap and rotor would be my next move.
    1960 willys pickup
    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
    1989 festiva
    1990 festiva for parts
    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Sounds like corroded ignition...check inside the dist cap and rotor....also check the hi-tension conncetion at the coil for corrossion.

What's odd...only under long prolonged load as in going up a hill. This sympton can some times mean blocked exhaust or cat. Though most cat exhaust obstructions result in a total lack of power up a hill and drives normally on flat ground...not cutting out as you desribe. Really odd
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Problem solved

I went to check on things tonight and discovered that the bracket just in front of the distributor that holds the plug wires and O2 sensor plug also has a couple of ground wires for the ignition or injectors. My problem was that the mounting bolt for this bracket was missing resulting in a couple of missing grounds! Put in a new bolt, re-established the grounds and problem solved.

Also determined that I'm badly in need of new spark plugs :?

Thanks for the suggestions....
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

it is nice that it was a easy fix in this weather

Comment

Working...
          X