Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ummm yummy this one taste like 10w-30 last one was 10w-40

Comment

what year corvette oil filter did you use, Thanks.
      1989 Miitsubishi Mirage turbo RS, 4G61T, smic, 3"S.S. 13g, EBC,
      89 LX carb Festy, 5spd, 106xxxkms, 2nd owner.

........Let boost be with you
      and bring some timing too........

Comment

As I originally said, a larger oil filter isn't really needed. Brand is much more important.

www.dantheoilman.com
        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

I put a stant superstat, about twice as much as the regular. The temp gauge stays half-way near all the time. Oil hasn't smelled like gas since then. Also a little techron treatment might help. I agree with darkdan on the larger filter. Unless your racing of course, but the festiva has 4 qt sump which is 1 qt more than most engines in this displacement nowdays. It gets plenty of oil, if your worried run synthetic.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32
            Unless your racing of course, but the festiva has 4 qt sump which is 1 qt more than most engines in this displacement nowdays. It gets plenty of oil, if your worried run synthetic.
            Not saying this is a good idea, but are you saying that the car would be OK with less than 4 qts of oil?

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Unless it's designed for it.. no. The newer geo's and sukui's had a 3qt sump with the same displacement. If you redesigned the oil pump it could work. I know for a fact that the festiva's don't like only 3qts, the top-end gets a wee bit noisey.
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

The Napa Gold filter for the '78 Ford Courier with the 1.8l engine is a good alternative. I think its number 1347. It's the same diameter as the Festiva filter but quite a bit longer. Even going with the Napa Gold filter for the Festiva would be a big improvement over some of the name brands.

Ian
                92 GL Sport
                Calgary
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

If you want better filteration then you need a oil filter with smaller pores.

If you want higher flow you need an oil filter with larger pores or more media.

Oil pumps are positive displacement. Every time then engine rotates then X amount of oil is pushed. So unless you're running at super high rpms then our engines wouldn't need a larger oil filter.

If you shift at some insanely high RPM like 7,000 rpms....then you might want a larger oil filter.

If not, then you'd want a better oil filter.

I could tell you guys all about AMSOIL's new EA oil filters with nanofibers. It has 98.7% efficiency when tested at 15 microns. Most filters don't get 98% until 30 microns or more. It also has great flow! But I'll spare everyone the sales pitch because I know none of you are willing to spend $15 an oil filter (even though it does last about 15k miles).
                  www.dantheoilman.com
                  Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by darkdan
                    But I'll spare everyone the sales pitch because I know none of you are willing to spend $15 an oil filter (even though it does last about 15k miles).

In the long run, that $15 oil filter is actually cheaper....

Regards,

Tim
                    White '89L auto - Sold!
                    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

shhh....don't let the public know.

Most people aren't willing to run the same oil and/or oil filter for anything longer then 3,000 miles or 3 months thanks to jiffy lube beating it into their skull.

Even though there's been plenty of studies and lots of used oil analysis to prove that longer drain intervals are not only okay, but usually result in better wear then shorter drains.
                      www.dantheoilman.com
                      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                      X