12 inch wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch wheels?

I am having problems finding tires for my 1990 Festiva. One guy at a tire dealer told me I would be better off upgrading to bigger wheels. Is this a problem with anyone else? Are there wheels that are larger than OEM that will fit the bolt pattern? Is there a reliable wholesale tire :x company I can go to for my tire needs for 12 inch wheels? I love my car but am frustrated by this MAJOR ISSUE which was not an issue in the early 90's

No you should be able to find 12" tire fairly easily still. Usually around $20-40 each which is why I'm not "upgrading" anytime soon.
    ~Scott

1989 Festiva L EFI

2010 Toyota Prius

Comment

I have a local shop that pretty much always has them. I think because pretty much everyone in the family has a Festiva. But even the Wally World's around me seem to keep them in stock. Shouldn't be that hard to find some.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
      1989 L - 247K miles Slick
      1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
      Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Re: 12 inch wheels?

Originally posted by rob967
        I am having problems finding tires for my 1990 Festiva. One guy at a tire dealer told me I would be better off upgrading to bigger wheels. Is this a problem with anyone else? Are there wheels that are larger than OEM that will fit the bolt pattern? Is there a reliable wholesale tire :x company I can go to for my tire needs for 12 inch wheels? I love my car but am frustrated by this MAJOR ISSUE which was not an issue in the early 90's
        I too have a problem finding 12 inch tires, next set I'll find 14" wheels and have a big selection of tires! I suppose it depends upon where you are located.

Here is the link for wheels, you may want to also consider your options:

Comment

Wally world no longer stocks or orders 12" tires. I work for them. Best bet is to check list that is posted elsewhere on this thread jump up to 13" or 14" rims. If you have the time you can get a nice setup. Just missed 4 accord rims with almost new tires for $120.00, wasn't payday and didn't have the cash.

Comment

There is a sticky that lists different cars with the sams bolt pattern.
            1988 p.o.s. (228,000 and still going)

Comment

Tire Rack still has the OEM Yokohama's for $51 each.

Comment

The OP dosen't give his location.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

OUCH!

Unless someone comes out with a new car which uses 12 or 13" wheels, our problems will probably keep getting worse. Best case scenario then would be importing them from overseas along with other hard to get sizes for original Minis (10"), etc. Costs will keep going up and up, even though little tires should cost LESS to make, ship and stock.

Right now the most common "little" tires are 175/70-13 and 155/80-13. Both are about the same diameter, which is kinda tall, creating stock gearing and speedo issues compared to smaller tires. But at least they should fit unless you have a lowered car.

My rear 175/70-13 Nokians will rub the fender wells occasionally when I hit a bump. I have cut Aspire springs all around with my Aspire swap. I'm going to go to uncut Festiva springs soon.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

the 155/80-13 should nolt give you a flase reading on your speedo....same size tire as the 155r12...center is only differance. and I was running 185/60/14's for a little bit and it added about 3 mph to the speed on the speedo...so at 55 I was doing about 58, checked this with my gps unit, it was right on with the 155's and over with the 185's.
                    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                    89L Silver EFI auto
                    91GL Green Auto DD
                    There ain't no rest for the wicked
                    until we close our eyes for good.
                    I will sleep when I die!
                    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by MPG
                      Not actually available!
                      Had a set of 4 ordered for my wife's car for 3-4 months and finally canceled the order as they couldn't tell me when or if they were ever going to get them in!
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

all the shops around here can get them. i paid $40 a tire last time i bought them.
                        89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                        92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                        New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

i got a set of kumhos just last week for $153
                          but now the poor lil festys out to pasture for now.
                          it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

Originally posted by Futurefesty90
                            i got a set of kumhos just last week for $153
                            but now the poor lil festys out to pasture for now.
                            where did you get yours at?
                            1960 willys pickup
                            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                            1989 festiva
                            1990 festiva for parts
                            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I know Tire Rack is out of Kumhos right now, but go to www.tires-easy.com and put in 155 80 12 and you will get three selections and it appears they now have Kumhos in stock now. (Didn't have them last week when I ordered)

Comment

Working...
                              X