Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV joint

'94 Kia Pride (festiva I think) 1324cc manual 5-door

I've found what looks like half the circlip that holds the CV to the drive shaft poking out of a hole in the gaiter.
    I've pulled it out, and it doesn't seem to be throwing out any grease.
    I changed the gaiters last year - one was just starting to go.
    It's got me thinking, what is the point of this circlip, and does it matter that it's breaking up?
    I suppose if the other half gets in the balls it'll lead to early failure, but complete removal of the circlip? The joint's firmly held in the hub. There could be a bit of sliding movement in the driveshaft splines, but would it matter?

Whats a circlip? Is it the wire that that holds the CV assy. (half shaft) together?

What is a gaiter? Is it the rubber that keeps dirt water etc. away from the grease and balls (what we call a boot)?

David

Comment

circlip is the 'C' shaped clip at the trans end of the halfshaft that holds the shaft inside the diff side gear.

gaiter is (an often British) term for an accordian-style rubber boot. We might also call it a bellows.
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

"Two countries, divided by a common language"

Sorry!
        Circlip. The sprung steel circular cross section C shaped clip that holds the CV joint onto the hub at the wheel end of the driveshaft. I believe there may be one in the diff end also.
        Gaiter. Boot. As opposed to large green lizard with very sharp teeth native to your shores.

Also, on this side of the pond, we tend to call a drive shaft just that when it's exposed, but a half-shaft when it's inside an axle - don't ask me why.

Comment

You should have that c clip in place. It holds the drive shaft assy. together. The boot should be replaced also. Even a small hole will allow dirt and water to get in.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Bathtub Tom
            "Two countries, divided by a common language"

Sorry!
            Circlip. The sprung steel circular cross section C shaped clip that holds the CV joint onto the hub at the wheel end of the driveshaft. I believe there may be one in the diff end also.
            Gaiter. Boot. As opposed to large green lizard with very sharp teeth native to your shores.

Also, on this side of the pond, we tend to call a drive shaft just that when it's exposed, but a half-shaft when it's inside an axle - don't ask me why.
            Thats so true!!!!

Although, I have always called it a circlip, but a gator is a large green lizard with sharp green teeth to me
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
            X