Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing Belt replacement - crank sprocket bolt re + re ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt replacement - crank sprocket bolt re + re ?

Hello.
    '96 Aspire, 161 K Km.
    I'm replacing timing belt.
    Is it necessary to remove crankshaft sprocket bolt ( main bolt )
    to re + re timing belt.
    If so, what's best way to get bolt out + in. i.e secure crank pulley from turning? Haynes says 80 - 85 ft-lb torque on bolt -- hopefully not necessary to remove.

Thanks,
    -JS
    Question Authority.

the best way i get the crank to stop turning is to remove the starter and wedge a flat screw driver in the flywheel

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I have used a chain wrench around the crankshaft pulley, and once, a strap wrench, but that was a PITA, it kept slipping.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Erm!

I put a socket and rachet on it, checked to see what it would hit wouldn't do any damage, and, erm, turned the key to start!

Always done all my cars that way.

I presume my Kia's the same as the Festiva, but it was a bit of a pain getting the engine low enough to get the pulley off past the box section.

Comment

Originally posted by Bathtub Tom
          Erm!

I put a socket and rachet on it, checked to see what it would hit wouldn't do any damage, and, erm, turned the key to start!
          :shock: :shock: hopefully you don't have the ratchet in the wrong direction when you do that

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid
            Originally posted by Bathtub Tom
            Erm!

:shock: :shock: hopefully you don't have the ratchet in the wrong direction when you do that
            It doesn't matter if you do, the socket turns, but the ratchet handle doesn't.

Comment

^^ :banghead: oh ya i guess your right, i just had a blonde moment ops:

Comment

Snick...Welcome to ff.com

Previously, I've read in this forum where the car was left in gear/park with the e-brake applied and the crank bolt was removed.
                I not to sure if I would try a chain wrench for fear of damage to the pulley.
                This is what I use...a strap wrench....It works quite well....mine is fabric....they make them with a braided rubber starp that I'm sure works better.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Impact gun.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking impact gun, but I'm wondering if that will impart damaging shock load to
                    engine internals, crank etc.
                    I'm grateful for above advice, but is it necessary to remove crank pulley bolt to get to timing belt?
                    Question Authority.

Comment

its not necessary to remove it for a timing belt.
                      but if you ever have to, use the starter method. it is VERY easy. Just put the ratchet on, rest it against the floor, and bump the key. I did it on sunday on a toyota tercel. Another method is to leave it in gear and have someone step on the brakes while you use a cheater bar on it (this also works for torquing it down)
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I used the chain wrench twice, after I realized I needed to take off the pulley, after the starter was out and the screwdriver trick wasn't working, wheels off, so the ebrake trick wasn't gonna happen. I did no damage whatsoever, the chain went inside the groove. I like your fiber belt, joe, that is probably much better than the rubber braided one, that is the kind I tried that EVENTUALLY worked, after a bunch of times slipping.
                        Since the time I FINALLY could afford an air compressor, and a good impact wrench, that is all I have used, and have had no problem whatsoever, on a LOT of cars. I probably service a good 50-60 vehicles a week. Of those, at leat 5-10 are head gaskets, or timing belts, which require taking off the pulley(I sort of force my customers to get a new timing belt/water pump/thermostat if do the head, no extra charge, just the price of the part). I don't think it is an itch. However, it is possible that it is NOT recomended, but I have never read/heard of such......
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It seems like a good precaution to the starter method (bumping the key) would be to disconnect the distributor to prevent an accidental starting of the engine.
                          kned33

91 blue Festiva GL (totaled)
                          88 white Festiva L (sold)
                          91 blue Festiva L (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by kned33
                            It seems like a good precaution to the starter method (bumping the key) would be to disconnect the distributor to prevent an accidental starting of the engine.
                            Presuming you've got the spark plugs out, because you're probably going to need to turn the engine over to line up the timing marks, then it's going to have a job starting.

Comment

Originally posted by snick2
                              Yeah, I was thinking impact gun, but I'm wondering if that will impart damaging shock load to engine internals, crank etc.
                              The impact gun is the preferred tool for this bolt since the fast torque pulses will loosen the bolt without rotating the engine. There won't be any effect on the engine internals since all of the power is being put into counter-clockwise rotation of the bolt screwed into the crankshaft. The crankshaft experiences much greater shock loads from the power stroke of the Otto cycle than it will ever see from the impact gun.

However, like anything else there are multiple ways of accomplishing the same result. Some are just easier than others. :idea:

Comment

Working...
                              X