No announcement yet.

Recommended oil for HIGH MILEAGE festy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Darkdan , using available datasheets such as http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp or http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/TechData/index.htm how does someone determine suitability for an application, of in the case of semi or full synthetic oils whether they are true synthetics or in the case of semi's the percentage of synthetic oil... I live in a hot weather state and use 10-30 , usually semi synthetic , SAE SM ...

Is there a super secret site where you can see side by side comparisons??

Comment

"blends" and "semi-synthetics" typically don't offer as good of a cost vs performance ratio as a full synthetic.

The Phillips stuff is a group III hydrocracked (fake synthetic) oil. You can tell because the pour point is neg 30C instead of neg 54C. The TropArtic conventional oil is one of the better dino juices.

Otherwise, those little charts offer mostly meaningless info to the majority of people. The only semi-valuable information is the HTHS number. The higher the high temp/high shear rating of the oil the better it will be at preventing bearing wear.

Side by side comparisions are next to meaningless. Every motor and every motor family likes different oils, viscosities, etc. Almost impossible to get any sort of control in those experiements and comparisions.

Most people aren't willing to spend the $20 on their vehicles to have the oil tested. This way a trend can be established for drain intervals and which types of oils the engine likes.

I'm finally happy Mobil1 upped their viscosity just a tad. I don't like "diet" 30s. I like thick 30s.

When people aren't interested in AMSOIL I recommend Mobil1 to them. Great oil at a decent price and available almost everywhere. Of course, AMSOIL is just a notch better, reasonably priced, and does deliver.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
      X