Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen Sensor Torque Value

My first post here.

My 1990 Festiva L, five speed, 176K, Surf Blue, is due for its biennial California SMOG inspection. In preparation, I plan to replace the spark plugs and the oxygen sensor. The instructions which came with the Bosch oxygen sensor, part #11027, says it should be torqued to between 37-44 ft. lb.. But that seems like a lot to me in view of the fact that spark plugs are torqued to between 10 and 17 ft. lb. according to my Ford Shop Manual. It has a flat washer, like that on a spark plug, and I would think it needed a similar torque value. It doesn't have to hold anything but itself in place, and I would think the torque value need only be sufficient to seal the the connection. I can't believe the pressures in the exhaust manifold are greater than those in the cylinders.
    More to the point, does anyone know the official Ford torque specification for this part?

I love this car and people who do.

John
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Oxygen sensor

Was that inch pounds, or Foot pounds? That does seem like a lot.

Comment

No value in my shop value. I just give them a good snug.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
      BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
      BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
      New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

^^^ yeah...hao about it. Most O2 sensor socket are clevised out for the cable...I would be surprised if they could handle that musch torque. Always be sure to clean the female threads with a small wire brush or the like before installing the new device. Get all of the loose stuff out. A liitle anti sieze is advantageous but extreme caution must be used not to contaminate the sensor.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Ford does not specify a torque value for the O2 sensor. but around 20ft/lb should be about right. Of course, if your like me, you apply German torque... Guttentite!!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
          X