No announcement yet.

Carb linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree you should concentrate on the carburettor.
    I remember it has a fast idle adjustment but do not know the theory.
    I dread touching the carburettor on my car.
    If you want to know more about the ignition control module you
    can look at my writeup at www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Cars.htm
    Good luck.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Watt, The only reason I'm looking at ICM is because of your writeup. My carb problem was flooding from over filling float bowl. You couldn't see level in float bowl because sight glass was full. The fuel doesn't flood into carb now and level looks good in sight glass My step son suggested turning down air fuel mix which we did with no change. When we tried to check timing the light kept blacking out momentarily like pick up couldn"t get signal. Now is 1200 rpm instead of 600 rpm a sign of failing ICM or not?
      88 Festiva 5 speed
      89 Automatic L with 1 1/4 hitch
      93 parts car(not much left)
      89 free parts car 5 speed
      03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
      05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

"When you've got kids, That's all you've got."

Comment

Got my ICM tested today. It failed. Low idle test failed . High idle test failed. Then machine lit up with a replace light. I won't know if the test was correct until I get a new one. I am still waiting for answer from last post. Does anyone think this will fix idle or should I tear down my carb again? I am new at this internet posting stuff. I just thought I would keep trying stuff and asking questions until I got this thing running smoothly and economically. I started with linkage and ended up in distributer so title doesn't fit. I guess if I get this thing running, Key word search will separate Carb from distributer. I will have to get a puller from HF to get my ICM out. All the old ICM's I have seen on posts look like mine. All the expensive replacement ICM's I have seen on online stores look alike but not like mine. What's up with that?
        88 Festiva 5 speed
        03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
        05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

I found this late tonight. If you are in a hurry, I suggest a rebuilt unit complete because they are about the same money as a module alone is. Keep your old one until you are sure IT is a good one too though. If you are not in a hurry, maybe I can come up with a known good for you. I am driving my Taurus back and forth right now, but I can check one out I have upstairs at the shop if you can wait a couple of days. Hit my name on the left, and send me a PM if you want me to do that, then keep your eyes open at the top of your page for me to send you one back. Took me a while to catch on to navigating around the board too. Keep the faith, you will get it figured out.

Michael

Michael
          Have owned 9 so far
          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

If you click on my writeup link in my last post you'll see I was getting high idle when the ICM was going bad, so yes, it is a symptom of a bad module. It could also be a symptom of other problems but since your ICM failed the test that seems to be a good bet. You can also read all the other stuff I found out about the ICM at that link. That's all I know about it and some of that I've forgot by now.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I found an ICM on FF.com E-bay link for 59.95+ 9 bucks shipping out of OK. It should be here Monday. It doesn't look like mine (no loop) but none of the new ones do.I've got til Monday to get some of that grease to bed it in so see I was paying attention.

By the way, Advance does have the equipment to test this but the staff doesn't know how to test the odd ones. They were nice enough to let me hook it up for them.
              Last edited by Handyman; 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM.
              88 Festiva 5 speed
              03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
              05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

HANDYMAN, the ICM or what i call the module comes apart. I have removed mine without pulling the top piece off the dist. shaft. One side is a magnetic coil and the other is the module.
                If you look closely at it you can see were the two separate.
                1960 willys pickup
                1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                1989 festiva
                1990 festiva for parts
                1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Thank You Worfdog. You a gentleman and a scholar. I don't know what I'd do without you guys.
                  88 Festiva 5 speed
                  03 F150 6 cyl 5 speed
                  05 Accord 4 cyl 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                  X