ideas anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas anyone?

So up until thursday I had been driving to work and running errands with the car. It was running absolutely wonderful. Then as I was driving to work thursday the car started to cut out, but with a little help from the right foot it would pick up again and keep running. Drove it home, checked the distributor - it was dry and in good repair. Drove it to work again the next day (about 15 km's) It was starting to stumble again more and more, until eventually the car stalled completely. After trying to turn it over a couple of times to no avail. Once I got to a safe spot (by pushing) at the side of the road I opened the hood and started thinking. I rattled the fuel filter a couple of times, turned the keys in the ignition and it fired right up.

So today I changed out the ORIGINAL fuel filter for a new one. The car started right up, but I noticed the it was idling really rough, and there is also a new loud ticking noise coming from the engine.It is not low on oil. I let the car idle for about 10 minutes. It tried to stall once but I caught it and gave it some gas. I turned the car off cleaned up my tools, went to start it for a test drive and low and behold it would crank but not start.

Can anybody help? - I've ceased working on the car due to complete frustration

Fuel pump? Injectors? EGR? I just don't know - I'm an apprentice plumber not a mechanic :sign3::sad3:
    1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Is it the 93L in your signature ?
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

yes
      1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Comment

first pull a wire and have some one crank it over and look for a spark, you have to see if its ignition or fuel related befoire you can go anyfurther.
        money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Did that already, I have spark
          1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Comment

there is a valve on the fule line called the shrader valve, it looks like a tire valve and works the same way. You can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to it to test for fuel pressure but in a pinch you can push something into it while the igintion is on to see if the fuel pump is building pressure

there are A/C lines that look and act the same , make sure you dont vent your A/C ( if you have it)

WARNING ! this can be dangerous, if it has fuel pressure it will spray and could cause a fire hazzard TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK
            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

ok, when I changed the filter I cranked the ignition and watched fuel surge out of the inlet hose to the filter.
              1993 Festiva L - B3/Auto

Comment

Check the timing belt. I've had some of the teeth strip off before, then the belt shifted a couple of inches. The engine still ran this way, but not very well. May not be what's wrong in your case, but some of the symptoms sound similar.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawgs View Post
                  Check the timing belt. I've had some of the teeth strip off before, then the belt shifted a couple of inches. The engine still ran this way, but not very well. May not be what's wrong in your case, but some of the symptoms sound similar.
                  just what I was thinking -

Comment

Maybe a spark plug wire insulation has worn and is grounding somewhere.

I had this happen to me..

Comment

To me, this has the earmarks of a timing issue. gdawgs and Ferrari, I think, are on the right track.
                      http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
                      88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
                      88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
                      06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X