Timing belt project need input.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt project need input.

I'm trying to replace the timing belt and crank seal in my '88 carbed Festiva.

I have the alternator belt off, the water pump pulley off, and the outer crank pulley loose. I can't get the outer pulley out. It's hitting between the 'frame rail' and the crank bolt. My intent was to use an impact on the crank bolt.

I've tried to raise the rear of the motor using a floor jack. The whole front end of the car lifted without tilting the motor. Now I have a cherry picker arm chained to the rear of the motor, and it's lifting the whole front end.

A couple of people have suggested a wrench on the crank pulley, and then hit the key. I'd rather use an impact.

Any thoughts on why my motor isn't tilting in the mounts, like it seems to for others?
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Maybe your mounts are not as weak as their's are/were!

Might have to unbolt the passenger side mount, as previously mentioned in this thread. Since you have a cherry picker you can unload the pass. engine mount, unbolt the mount and ease the engine down till you can reach it with the impact wrench.
    Have you remove the pass. side tire and splash guard?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

most people when they mention lower the motor probabally mean remove the mount, they just assume you will realize that and not mention it...

very easy stuff.. was one of the first jobs on my fest... did this when I was like 16... Put a floor jack under the oil pan, take the weight off the mounts, and remove the passenger side mount... now you can lower the motor 6" easy, and get at the pulley from the wheel well (make sure to remove the splash guard)
      89SX funtop! Fully loaded!
      RIP 90LX

Comment

gdawg did say to loosen the motor mount...I missed what he said.

That's a set back. I'll try again tomorrow.

Next time I'll print the thread.

Thanx.
        Last edited by BigElCat; 08-16-2008, 08:59 PM.
        '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

I put a pry bar into the motor mount and shoved the engine over a bit. The pulley dropped out. I did not have to loosen the motor mount. There was enough play in the rubber in the motor mount to drop the pulley out from between the engine and body. Carb'd '89.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I see this is the same vehicle as in an earlier thread.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Jus tlike stefan said...I just did this a few weeks ago...floor jack under the pan...with a block of wood as a weight spreader...removed the mount...lowered a bit, and bingo...if you have A/C be careful, as my top hose got tight...if you drop it too much you could possible break the line.
              Donovan

92 Festiva L stock with wheel upgrade...The Mater (Sold)
              '66 Galaxie 500 428 FE...Friend of OPEC
              '68 Mustang Coupe
              '63 Galaxie Country Sedan

Comment

the motor should not rock in the same plane that the wheel rotate.
                The motor is mounted to the gear box and the gear box is mounter to the cross membert and thos mounts are pretty resiliant if not rigid.
                Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Working...
                X