• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switch

I believe this is the part number you are looking for:

Comment

Originally posted by spiko View Post
      It's on the bottom of the radiator fan. I don't know the exact name of it, and everything I have seen at auto stores don't seem to match up. Can anyone help me identify this sensor?

Spiko,
      Seem 3 out of 4 I ask agreed:

It is unused sensor location. Sensors located at the bottom of the radiator can be used to cycle cooling fans, control temp gauges, disengage a/c compressors, engage a warning light or send information to the computer.
      Marv

Comment

more info

Joe,
        Not a problem, no offence taken, all points seem more in depth than I was looking. We all know more now than we did yesterday, and that is the goal of a forum.
        Nice spin and nicely put.
        Marv

Originally posted by jglutz View Post
        My spin

This statement alone...neglects the structural integrity of aluminum and it's ability to be joined to the tanks...let alone its ability to take a shot from a flying stone.

Today, Aluminum cost a lot less than copper or brass. During the era that rad's were still made of brass....aluminum was considered and exotic metal.

Because of aluminum's electrolysis ability...it can be anodized. Anodized aluminum provides superior protection to any typical brass or copper plating process.

When selecting a heat transfer material...not only do engineers consider the coefficient of thermal conductivity...they...also consider the coefficient of thermal expansion. The minimal difference in thermal conductivity can be proprtional compensated by a minimal increase in surface area....very minimal.

Not so exact....for any given engine the radiator can be made smaller if the flow of coolant is increased; conversly, the flow can be decrease should the size of the radiator be increased. This does not even include the speed of the fan pulling air across the rad.

The equations are not difficult, a matter of fact they are pretty simple...however....the flow rate is only one part of the equation.

And flow rate is not the true concern....the real need is to maintain an optimum temp....hot enough to ease compression forces....and not to hot to limit heat from combustion.

The best thing to do is turn your engine off. The increase in RPM only works for fans that are not electrically operated. In any case their will be a sweet spot where the extra burned gas result in less heat.
        Turning on the A/C to force the fan on only works if the fan temp sensor has already failed. The fan should have already been on. If I was over heating....I would look to shed loads...not increase them.

Not a rant or fight...just my expeience....hate to see any car suffer form an overheating problem.

Comment

steel transfer tubes

When I had my old brass reservoir rad rebuilt, I asked for brass transfer tubes to be soldered in.
          The guy at the shop just laughed at me. Apparently, they only use steel transfer tubes because of an existing patent. This way, they rust out so that the rad will leak again, and you will have to bring it in again for a rebuild (with more steel transfer tubes). It's the same with all radiators, with plastic reservoirs or other.

Comment

Looked in my book and the sensor in the bottom of the radiator signals the, Electronic Control Assembly when the water temp reaches 62.3 degrees, for what reason i don't know, the manual does not say.

I know they will run with out fine because my 89 5-speed does not have one. The previous owner put an auto radiator from a 1990 FI car and the FI car did not have them in the radiator.
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I checked the other radiator and the switch looked fine so I'm just using that

Comment

Originally posted by spiko View Post
                I checked the other radiator and the switch looked fine so I'm just using that
                I'm glad you checked the other one!
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  When I had my old brass reservoir rad rebuilt, I asked for brass transfer tubes to be soldered in.
                  The guy at the shop just laughed at me. Apparently, they only use steel transfer tubes because of an existing patent. This way, they rust out so that the rad will leak again, and you will have to bring it in again for a rebuild (with more steel transfer tubes). It's the same with all radiators, with plastic reservoirs or other.
                  Good Information:
                  It sound like they have their own twist on job security running strong. So many time its all about profit.... not the best suited repair possible. Also many times we the consumer set the stage by demanding the lowest possible price.
                  So many factors come into play in the repair services. It's nice to be able to pick and choose a little, if possible. This forum help inform us so we can make better choices. ALL INPUT is IMPORTANT for us to making and informed decision. The con is just as important as the pro in decision making.
                  Marv

Comment

Originally posted by worfdog View Post
                    Looked in my book and the sensor in the bottom of the radiator signals the, Electronic Control Assembly when the water temp reaches 62.3 degrees, for what reason i don't know, the manual does not say.

I know they will run with out fine because my 89 5-speed does not have one. The previous owner put an auto radiator from a 1990 FI car and the FI car did not have them in the radiator.
                    Was the 62.3 F or 62.3C Most likely C seems about right to kick on a fan.
                    Does make one ask what all does the electronic control Assembly control. Several things maybe [R cooling fan, AC compressor, temp gauge ]
                    Njoy Ur 89
                    Thanks
                    Marv

Comment

Tow Hitch

Originally posted by piratewilly View Post

try now
                      Piratewilly,
                      Do you have a snap of your factory tow hitch on the 88
                      Thanks
                      Marv

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay View Post
                        I'm glad you checked the other one!
                        Well "we" checked the other one, I just remembered that we had two radiators and there might have been a chance the other sensor would have been good. Lucky for us, it was!
                        Last edited by spiko; 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mhstark View Post
                          Was the 62.3 F or 62.3C Most likely C seems about right to kick on a fan.
                          Does make one ask what all does the electronic control Assembly control. Several things maybe [R cooling fan, AC compressor, temp gauge ]
                          Njoy Ur 89
                          Thanks
                          Marv
                          Made a small mistake it's not 62.3, but 62.6 F. It is Fahrenheit by the manual i have.
                          1960 willys pickup
                          1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                          1989 festiva
                          1990 festiva for parts
                          1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
                          X