My day of halfshaft replacement w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My day of halfshaft replacement w/pics

I bought the white '90 this summer and it had new bearings put in all the way around before it died. So my mission today was to swap those halfshafts, rotors and all, over to Levistiva. So I needed to disassemble two cars, swap, and reassemble. It sucked working on gravel. Woulda been great to have 2 jacks. Was awesome that I had 6 jackstands. Only real troubles I had were 2 lower ball joints were a pain in my hello and I broke 3 bolts removing one strut and ball joint. Had to apply some heat on the broken bolts on the strut, but I flippin' prevailed! Anyways, shot a bunch of photos to maybe help someone in the future.

Here goes!

First thing I did today was go and rent a slide hammer from Autozone and later I went and got a balljoint separater(sp?).

This is what Festiva Alley looked like in front of the Festiva Funny Factory. The white one is the parts car. The maroon Lx is in the way.
    [img][img]
    [img][img]

Backed the blue one back to the fence. Pushed the maroon Lx up against it.
    [img][img]

Parallel parked Levistiva.
    [img][img]

Had to take a shot of the mug Packrat427 gave me at the Ozark Meet. Levistiva is pimpin' the gear!
    [img][img]

14mm 6 sided socket driven by a 1/2" drive ratchet.
    [img][img]

Of course, the last person to install the tires, torqued them to about 200 ft. lbs.
    NOTE: 69 ft lb. 69, easy number for most ppl to remember.
    HELPFUL HINT: Top half of jack makes for good leverage.
    [img][img]

Some of the tools I used. Cheap impact with my new 6 hp 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor I purchase for $100 at a garage sale.
    [img][img]
    [img][img]

Little magnetic bowl for storing nuts and bolts. I think having 2 of them would make things easier at times. In this case, one at each car, but I made it work.....no leftovers at the end of the day.
    [img][img]

Removed tire after taking Packrat's jack advice of jacking up on the tie down bracket. I did put a jackstand underneath the framerail, for safety and so I could use the jack on the same wheel, but opposite car.
    [img][img]

C-clamp to compress brake pad for easy removal of brake caliper.
    [img][img]

Screwdriver points to show how pads have loosened for caliper removal.
    [img][img]

12mm to remove two bolts holding caliper.
    [img][img]
    [img][img]

Tie rod removal requires a 17mm I believe and side cutters. Remove cotter pin with side cutters. Removed tie rod end nut, then put the nut back on and tighten until flush with the end of the tie rod end bolt. Then I tapped it until loose, removed nut, and removed tie rod end. Doing it this way just helps keep from mucking up the threads.
    [img][img]
    [img][img]
    [img][img]
    [img][img]
    [img][img]

Next I removed the 2 bolts holding the strut. The lil' impact wasn't strong enough for one of the nuts, so I broke out the jack handle, again. Awesome little tool.
    [img][img]
    [img][img]
    [img][img]

Kind of a lame pic of removing the lower balljoint bolt. It was a 14mm I believe.
    [img][img]

Right in the middle of my project, FedEx comes bearing gifts.
    [img][img]

Headlights and carbed distributor for the Lx...just in case! Thanks getnpsi!!
    [img][img]

Back to the task at hand. I jacked up on the outer assembly and tapped down on the balljoint and it dropped right out. On others, I had to use the pickle fork or the ball joint separater.
    [img][img]

Ball joint separated.
    [img][img]

Here is a pic of after I removed the halfshaft with the slide hammer. I just used two lugbolts to hold it on and then slid the hammer a few times and it just plopped out. ElCamino1 even suggested that if you were without the slidehammer, take a 2x4 chunk of wood and cut it into a wedge. HAmmer the wedge between the case and the halfshaft and then tap on the halfshaft to pop it out.
    [img][img]

Had to move to Levistiva and repeat the same process.
    [img][img]

This is the old one from Levistiva getting ready to go back into the parts car so I can at least move that car around.
    [img][img]

Assembly is just the reverse order. The halfshafts go in real easy. I kinda kicked them in and then push, pulled, tugged the hell out of them to make sure they wouldn't pull out.

The one thing I do is put antiseize on every thing. Not only the threads on a bolt, but, also, the bolts themselves. Especially like bolts that go through metal sleeves...ie lower balljoint bolts, strut bolts, strut shock bolts in the rear and lugbolts...you get the point.
    [img][img]

To test the job, I went to a large parking lot, first, and did circles, left and right. Then I went on 35 mph streets and then the interstate. Guess all is good because I'm here to tell you how my day went and to maybe give somebody some help.
    Last edited by Levitan; 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM.
    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
    #2 .....Cheesehead
    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
    #4 .....Montana Project
    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
    Bought her back for $450
    Now that's darn near priceless!!

you do know the knuckle does not need to be removed to take out an axle?

you take off the tire, take off the axle nut, undo/separate the ball joint, pull the knuckle away from the car while sliding the axle out of the knuckle and remove axle from transmission

you could have saved a few steps :lol:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I've done it w/o removing the tierod end or the BJ. I think I just removed the strut bolts and cut the wheel all the way to one side to get as much room as possible.
      Of course this was with coilovers; maybe stock springs would push the strut down too far? I can't remember...

Either way, he said he wanted the hubs and all b/c they had new bearings!

Nice writeup!
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Yeah, he was swapping the whole deal... but to make it clear for others, it's as Damkid and Skeeter says, when JUST doing the axle, you don't have to..

Now, to comment on the write up:

KILLER! Great pics and great help to those that haven't done this before. This will be a big help..

AND..

MAN I am jeajous of your Festiva Parts Yard!!!!!
        Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
        http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
        My Garage Page:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Thanks guys!

I removed everything because I swapped rotors/hubs and all, so I'm pretty sure I did it the right way. To swap just the axles, I could have skipped a couple of those steps. Having to take the parts off the second car made for a long day, especially when I started having problems with broken and rusted bolts off the parts car. Things that would have sped things up would have been a second jack and being on concrete. That whole working on 2" gravel sucks. I had knee pads on and was laying and kneeling on a chunk of styrofoam. You can see the cars are on yard, but my fat butt was sprawled out in the rock alley.

My gf and I are looking for an acreage so I can build a 30x60 pole barn. 30x30 of it would be concreted and the other 30x30 would be rock, for storage.

#2 .....Cheesehead
          #3 '91 White - Donor Car
          #4 .....Montana Project
          Bought her back for $450

Comment

Originally posted by Levitan View Post
            HELPFUL HINT: Top half of jack makes for good leverage.
            I prefer to call it a torque multiplier...it makes me feel smrter.
            Great write-up!
            I had no idea what I was doing when I did mine, so I just used a tow strap tied around the shaft and gave it a good yank, but it plopped out very easily, to my surprise.
            89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Ah the joys of festiva ownership. DIY repairs. Did you put new cir clips on the half shaft ??? No ? You will have to start over. :p I also noticed ( being the tough guy thrill seeker you are ) that with the exception of the ball joint you opted for the dry removal process. For all the people who may not see challenges as " only unsolved problems " you might try using the most important tool of all more. It saves you time and skin plus you dont have to put so much money in the crusing jar.

Last edited by freshtiva; 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

People always say they have a hard time removing the ball joint. One trick I learned after wrestling with one for about the third time is to take a long thick pipe. stick it under where thw lower control arm mounts to the car and pry down on the sway bar. Pops them out way easier and you don' even need a pickle fork!

Comment

Fresh,
                  I used it, but the problem was...Not using it in advance! It was 350,000 mile parts car that was the pain!

Zoe,
                  I must have needed to use a longer pipe. I used a crowbar and couldn't do the trick. Will make a note of it for next time.
                  Last edited by Levitan; 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM.

#2 .....Cheesehead
                  #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                  #4 .....Montana Project
                  Bought her back for $450

Comment

great write up! man rust is bad up there...
                    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Great write up Dan! :thumbup:
                      Now I see why Laura gets pissed at you when you think about getting another Festiva.
                      Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                      - Unknown
                      I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                      - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                      - Bumper Sticker

Comment

I'm Impressed!!!!
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by Ogrestiva View Post
                          I prefer to call it a torque multiplier...it makes me feel smrter.
                          Great write-up!
                          I had no idea what I was doing when I did mine, so I just used a tow strap tied around the shaft and gave it a good yank, but it plopped out very easily, to my surprise.
                          Yours had been out a month ago.
                          Remember I replaced your clutch and trans?
                          Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
                          99 Dodge Caravan SE
                          95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
                          94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
                          78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
                          78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
                          03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
                          95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
                          95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
                          95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                            People always say they have a hard time removing the ball joint. One trick I learned after wrestling with one for about the third time is to take a long thick pipe. stick it under where thw lower control arm mounts to the car and pry down on the sway bar. Pops them out way easier and you don' even need a pickle fork!

Or just drive a wedge slightly into the ball joint clamp and the ball joint will fall out. Well almost.
                            sigpic
                            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Nice write up and pics Dan !!!!!

Glad to see you are using the mug , most of those end up and the back of the cabinet ..LOL

and yes I am jealous of that load of jewels in the back yard
                              ------------------------------------------------
                              The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                              Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                              HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                              Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                              Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                              Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                              Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                              90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                              It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

Working...
                              X