Festiva hesitates at half a tank of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva hesitates at half a tank of gas

Just got my Festiva back on the road recently after 5 years. Car runs perfectly until it hits half a tank of gas at that point in hesitates mid throttle car does not stall and continues to idle perfectly problem persists until gas tank is filled back up. This is a 92 Festiva with a 5 speed. So far I have replaced the fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator,throttle position sensor and the fuel filter. When I had the fuel pump out the gas gauge read half and there appeared to be half a tank of gas in the tank so I think I ruled out a faulty fuel sending unit. Please help I would like to be able to run closer to empty.

Could it be a return line issue(emissions)? Either pressure not being released or somthing of the sort? Some of the other guys might know what im getting at. Im not to familiar with it and it could be explained better.

-Scott
    Aqua 93 L
    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I have had two festiva that did the same thing, worse in the summer.... bad news is I never figured it out.......
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

The most frustrating thing is if you keep at least half a tank of gas in the car you would never know there was a problem. I will travel alot with this car and would like to use all of the gas.

Comment

I remember someone had this problem before and there was a hole in the hose above the pump inside the tank. So when it got low all the gas did was spray back into the tank. It was weird.
          Brian
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
          :fish:

Comment

I have a sortof similar problem on my minibike... there is a hole in the pickup line so that after about 1/2 tank it starts sucking air.

On the festy with the pump in the tank, you don't have to worry about the pickup, but I'd check the high pressure line from the pump. I'm betting like Brian said it could have a small hole in it, and after about 1/2 tank its spraying fuel back into the tank, still flowing enough fuel for it to sustain an idle but not enough to take it above that. Have you checked fuel pressure? that seems like the first and most obvious thing to do; before you replace anything that you have already mentioned. Check it with a full tank, and then after it starts bogging, under a variety of loads. See if the pressure when its running fine differs from the pressure when its not running fine, then go from there.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Just a quick test.....disconect the canister purge solenoid electrical connector next time the car mis-behaves. I'm wondering if some type of goofy vacuum leak is created below 1/2 tank? Just a gues and a start.

Or...check the fuel pump assembly....stem may have a crack or leak such that below 1/2 a tank...the fuel pump is sucking air.
              Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
              The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

pump is sucking air. Pull the pump assembly and inspect it closely for leaks. Common issue on many different cars.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

When I replaced the fuel pump I used the assembly (screen and pick up tube) from another car unless there is the same problem on both pick up tubes I think that is ruled out? Does anyone sell a new fuel pick up assembly not the pump just the bracket and tube? I believe you all may be on to something. It is difficult replacing used parts with used parts. Thank you everyone for your help.

Comment

Hello other Festiva owners new to this forum.
                    I have a 1990 festiva that is doing this also, after it gets down to a half a tank it runs like crap, I have two other festiva cars one is used for parts, and I've changed alot of stuff to get it to run right but can't seem to find the problem.
                    Things that I've changed:
                    1.The whole fuel pump assy.
                    2. fuel filter
                    3.Dist.
                    4.coil
                    5.spark plug wires.
                    6.exhaust front to back (all)

I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!

Comment

Well at least I don't feel like I am crazy now, nascarjunkie best of luck to you I just have to keep it above half a tank to run right but I am not giving up yet. Keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by tholliday75 View Post
                        Well at least I don't feel like I am crazy now, nascarjunkie best of luck to you I just have to keep it above half a tank to run right but I am not giving up yet. Keep you posted.
                        Have you changed anything lately? I'm thinking of looking at the hose that goes to the fuel pump to the fuel filter and see if that is bad maybe have a pin hole in it.....?

Comment

if you're still having problems with it by next week, let me know and i'll roll out your way and see if we can't fix it. i'm about 1h20min away.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

had same problem replaced fuel pump and filters runs like a champ. easy fix too fuel pump easy to get to right under backseat. just to be sure you can always run to favorite mechanic and have your fuel pressure checked.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              if you're still having problems with it by next week, let me know and i'll roll out your way and see if we can't fix it. i'm about 1h20min away.
                              I think you live more than a couple hrs. away...........:p
                              I changed out the fuel pump from another car, do you really think that pump is back too???

Comment

Working...
                              X