No announcement yet.

Festiva hesitates at half a tank of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem in both my festivas, what ever the problem is it went away in both cars....I think might have to do with crud building up in the tank, or the sock at the end of the fuel pump getting clogged up.

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by Gforcefd View Post
      I had the same problem in both my festivas, what ever the problem is it went away in both cars....I think might have to do with crud building up in the tank, or the sock at the end of the fuel pump getting clogged up.

Logan
      When I replaced the fuel pump the inside of the tank looked great. Guys is there anything else you can think of that it might be?

Mike

Comment

sry nascar, that was ment for tholliday (he's a bit closer)
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Since replacing the fuel pump and assembly the fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator and the throttle position sensor I have not tried anything else. I do know when I go to fill up the car there are still about 3-3.5 gallons of gas left in the car that I cannot use due to this problem. Up until that point the car runs great. The car did sit for 5 years even though the gas tank was drained I still feel there could be an issue with rust and debris in the tank clogging the filter at the bottom of the pump when the gas level gets low. This repair is going to have to wait until after the holidays, until then I can afford to fill up at 1/4 of a tank since gas prices here are below 1.70 a gallon.

Comment

my offer still stands...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              my offer still stands...
              Do you guys think it could be a bad fuel cap? I'm going to try that and see, I put a diff. one on. I'm thinking that there is to much pressure and it is starving for fuel?
              I will let you guys know soon about the results!!!

M

Comment

Just crack the cap loose and take it out for a spin. See if it makes a difference.
                Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Comment

Sounds like an issue in the tank to me. Are there any dents in the bottom of your tank? I would run the car down to where it starts acting up then remove the pump and look around. See what parts of the pump are not covered in fuel and look at that point and up on the pump assy.
                  ROBc

Comment

I had the same problem in my wifes festiva. Inside the tank there is a cup like area where the fuel pickup/pump sits. When the fuel level gets below the sidewall hight of this it is gettign starved of fuel and the cup was draining.
                    There is a 1/4" approx dia pipe that feeds this cup that sits on the bottom of the tank. this was clogged with crap. thus starving the pump of fuel. Once this was cleaned. problem gone. I just pushed some cable through it.
                    Last edited by jgb; 12-14-2008, 03:39 AM.

Comment

i had the same problem in my wifes festiva. Inside the tank there is a cup like area where the fuel pickup/pump sits. When the fuel level gets below the sidewall hight of this it is gettign starved of fuel and the cup was draining.
                      There is a 1/4" approx dia pipe that feeds this cup that sits on the bottom of the tank. this was clogged with crap. thus starving the pump of fuel. Once this was cleaned. problem gone. I just pushed some cable through it <-----jgb sound correct this was my second thought.
                      my first thought was like mentioned above possible building of vacuum inside the tank by spent fuel. when you go to fill it up when the problem is happening and you remove the gas cap do you hear a whoose sound of air rushing into the tank? even if you dont remove the gas cap and drive it till the problem happenes if it dosnt happen you know where to look if it does happen, just put your gas cap back on.
                      88 mustang 427 stroker garrett t-76 turbo best run 8.86@ 151.56

91 red gl festiva the $50 daily driver <--toast
                      WANTED 78-80 FORD FIESTA (PREF GHIA)

Comment

Originally posted by jgb View Post
                        I had the same problem in my wifes festiva. Inside the tank there is a cup like area where the fuel pickup/pump sits. When the fuel level gets below the sidewall hight of this it is gettign starved of fuel and the cup was draining.
                        There is a 1/4" approx dia pipe that feeds this cup that sits on the bottom of the tank. this was clogged with crap. thus starving the pump of fuel. Once this was cleaned. problem gone. I just pushed some cable through it.

Well, I have one doing it too. When mine gets down to 2.5 gallon in the tank and I start up a hill, the engine will fade out and then pick back up if I let off the gas. It will probably empty the tank if I stayed on a level road or didn't go around corners.

I've seen the cup and seen the tube. This sounds like exactly what could be causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jgb View Post
                          Inside the tank there is a cup like area where the fuel pickup/pump sits. When the fuel level gets below the sidewall hight of this it is gettign starved of fuel and the cup was draining. There is a 1/4" approx dia pipe that feeds this cup that sits on the bottom of the tank. this was clogged with crap. thus starving the pump of fuel. Once this was cleaned. problem gone. I just pushed some cable through it.
                          This is an older post LOL but thanks so much. The car I just got last weekend started bogging when the gas was getting low. I pulled out the pump, tried to clear that tube as best I could using some wire but I could only get into the tube an inch or two. Well the car is running like a champ now.

The car started acting up just after I fixed the RF control arm bolt, I was actually out for a test drive to make sure the front end was good now. So as soon as I fix one thing, something else breaks. LOL It's OK really as long as it doesn't leave me stranded.

Comment

Working...
                          X